Diesel Engine Production

danegreen

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
This article came across my inbox this morning and I thought I would share it with the group.

Ford to further cut pickup, SUV production.
The AP (5/21, Durbin, Krisher) reports that "Ford Motor Co. said Tuesday it will further cut production of its pickups and large sport utility vehicles," as their "sales plummet[ed] due to high gas prices and the slump in housing construction." Ford, which is "anxious to hold onto its longtime lead in U.S. pickup sales, also is working on a smaller, more fuel-efficient version of its best-selling F-150 pickup that will likely hit the market in 2011." According to spokeswoman Angie Kozleski, "the Michigan Truck plant in suburban Wayne would be shut down for five weeks starting in late June."

Diesel engine supplier pauses production. The AP (5/20) reports that Illinois's International Truck and Engine, which "supplies diesels for Ford pickup trucks," will halt "diesel engine production Friday, a move that will idle several hundred workers until the end of a summer shutdown in mid-July." Roy Wiley, a spokesman for Warrenville, Ill.-based Navistar International, which "is the operating arm of Navistar," said that "high fuel prices and a construction industry slump has hampered demand for the engines."

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont blame 'em...the trucks arent exactly in high demand !

wanna bet ford picks up the pace of getting their own <new> 6.7L
diesel engine into production...at least then FORD could decide
when/how many to wanted to build <instead of some supplier> !

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i forget the exact number but i want to say that ford truck and suv sales were down about 10%, while the focus sales were up.

i think its a good thing, half the people on the road dont need the "land yacht" they are currently driving. if you need a truck 5 times a year....RENT ONE.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think its a good thing, half the people on the road dont need the "land yacht" they are currently driving. if you need a truck 5 times a year....RENT ONE.

hey if it counts im goin' to get my car trailer today ;)

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Working on a smaller, more fuel-efficient version of its best-selling F-150 pickup that will likely hit the market in 2011.

More fuel efficient would be a real good idea before the foreign builders such as Toyota take over the whole market. While my F150 guzzles down gas at less than 14mpg a guy I work with gets over 20 with his new Toyota. I really try to buy American and don't have a Toyota on my list but when gas gets up over $5 or 6$ a gallon what is a guy to do?

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
More fuel efficient would be a real good idea before the foreign builders such as Toyota take over the whole market. While my F150 guzzles down gas at less than 14mpg a guy I work with gets over 20 with his new Toyota. I really try to buy American and don't have a Toyota on my list but when gas gets up over $5 or 6$ a gallon what is a guy to do?
I agree 100%. A co-worker of mine has a new Tundra, and I'll go on record as saying [flame suit on] that the thing is really nice. He claims 14 and 19 and I believe him. Interior is sweet, has a towing package, and puts my wife's F150 to shame in every respect. That 5.7 is impressive. I still don't get how my dually gets better mileage than that F150.

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
not to pee on a fire
but
texas lead the nation last month in a 4% increase in new home permits
and in parts of dallas it jumped from 60 ish permits for new homes and townhouses to over 140 this month so far, a freind of mine works for dallas county permitting office :sweet

and the toyota tundra looked darn good at the toyota texas bass classic, they had some darn nice looking setups

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
puts my wife's F150 to shame in every respect. I still don't get how my dually gets better mileage than that F150.
There is one respect where the F150 outshines the Toyota and that is in looks. The new 08' Tundra is about the ugliest truck I have ever seen in my life but looks ain't everything. Your co-worker is claiming 14-19? My coworker is claiming over 20 combines city/hwy but I have been questioning it in my mind. 14/19 sounds way more reasonable.

I understand what you are saying about your dually getting better than the F150. I get way better mileage with Crummy than we do with the F150 but now that Diesel is $.60 more than gas is it close to a wash. Hook up a load to the F150 and the mpg goes in the single digits.

Are you listening Mr. Ford? A "more fuel-efficient version" would be a good thing just do it before we all have to buy Toyota's.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talso is working on a smaller, more fuel-efficient version of its best-selling F-150 pickup that will likely hit the market in 2011."

Doesn't this describe a Ranger?

Or at least that's what I'm thinking it describes anyway except this "new" version will likely be somewhere between the two and maybe the ranger will shrink to it's previous size.

I was thrilled the years I had my v6 ranger and was pulling down tank averages 22-23. I could do most things I needed just towing heavy was out of the question.

I can't say that if they released a new more efficient truck I'd run out and buy it because it'd need to get 30mpg before I'd even think about doing the math.

I will say that I'll end up looking for a car to replace the DD before I buy a new truck. But that'll come when the car is no longer reliable for daily transportation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58