Diesel fuel or furnace oil.

Speed Wrench

retired canadian military
Reaction score
Hi all Im new here and i see there is lots of good advice.
Im wondering is some one can help me with a decision im looking to make.
I live on the east coast of canada and diesel fuel prices are almost $4.00 a gallon ouch.Here on the east coast there are alot of homes like mine that burn furnace oil to heat our homes.
I know i can burn this furnace oil in my Land Rover diesel because its used to burning dirty fuel.
My question is can i burn this furnace oil in my Ford 6.0
I ask the furnace man what the difference was between diesel fuel and furnace oil and was told the only difference is the color and the amount of wax, The furnace oil having more wax in it .
Any one out ther eever dont this or have any suggestions.

Also i would like to let the rest of the reader know im getting on average 22 mpg with the banks system on long runs.And when you step on it WOW its turns from a lazy diesel to a full blown sports car {well as much as a 1 ton can be heheh}
thanks in advance:thumbs

Speed Wrench

Reaction score
Oh ill have a picture of my Ford soon.Its in the body shop getting some dings and dents taken out as well as having my pocket flairs put on.

mjstef

Big Sky Country.........
Reaction score
Not sure about Canada but here they can nail you for not paying road tax. Also the wax content would worry me as polymerization could screw up a $2500 set of injectors..................

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in Manitoba..seems one has to add antijell to the furnace fuel to keep it from jelling....aside from that there is the road-tax issue that's already been mentioned..that would take care of any savings you might have, lol.

Speed Wrench

Reaction score
what the government dosent know wont hurt them

I realise there is the road tax issue.I wont tell them if you dont that im burning furnace oil in my truck hehe.At the present time im using a antigel here in Alberta because of the winter temp.Im think that i might run the mixture half and half in the winter with some good antigel and ill give it the full treatment in the summer.Ill try running it in my land rover diesel first to see if it is going to effect my injectors.Land rover injectors can be rebuilt for about $10.00.Id rather rebuild them and would rather not replace my ford ones because of the cost..

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Speed Wrench said:
I realize there is the road tax issue.I wont tell them if you don't that im burning furnace oil in my truck hehe.
Probably not the best idea to post it on the Internet either ;)

I have a 500 gallon tank buried next to my shop right next to my heating oil tank that is plumbed into a fuel pump inside the shop. The previous owner used this setup so he could get heating oil delivered and then pump it into his truck. Up here heating oil and Diesel are the exact same thing out of the same truck. Due to the fines I have never put anything in the tank. I even capped the fill pipe so that the delivery guy doesn't accidentally fill the wrong tank. I am sure if a guy doubled his heating oil usage someone would get suspicious. The small amount of savings is not worth it, I have heard the fines are very large.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14