Diesel Fuel

flyguy51

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I will be picking up my new 2006 F-250 PSD just after X-Mas. The question that I have right now is: What is the difference between the fuel that is run in semi tractors(#1 diesel I guess) and the fuel that I will be running in my F250(#2 diesel I guess) and will it hurt my new truck if I do run a tank of the semi stuff?

Thanks Flyguy

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
All diesel fuel is the same wiether you run a big rig or a F-350 pickup. The numbers that you are referring to are the summer diesel (#2) and the winter diesel (#1). This has to do with the gelling piont of the fuel. The temperature that the fuel will not flow because to is turned to a gellatonous state.

Dave

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
The high sulfur OFF ROAD fuel is not good for your truck in large doses, though a tank or two won't do much harm. They were selling anything a diesel would burn down here after Katrina. You will find mostly #2 diesel at most places anyway, # 1 diesel is for winter use. Most folks on the forum will recommend a good additive like Diesel Kleen to keep everything running good and maybe give you an extra mpg or two due to an increased cetane level.

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello FlyGuy, and welcome to the SDD gang of Power Stroke Super Duty Diesel Truck lovers.
You didn't say what state you live in but if they have # 1 on the pumps buy it this time of the year. Here in the south we never see fuel pumps with number # 1 on them, only #2 here. When it gets real cold we have to add something to the fuel to keep it from gelling.:sweet
Enjoy your new truck and always remember.

There Is No Feeling Like That Ford Truck Mobilling :thumbs :thumbs

Last edited:

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Find a station that has a high volume turnover of fuel. Truck stops are good. The fuel will be fresher and less likely to have water and algae growth.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Welcome to our world
ditto all said about fuel.

and one biggie about fuel quantity sold
for over four months i purchased fuel from teh same place, they have a huge volume turnover
got a Water in Fuel light
drained filter HCFM and collected a large to me amount of water, so i saved it and went and had a talk to the station fuel supplier ( it is attached to the lot)
the GM was concerned about the amount of water, sand and gunk
but not enough to pay for my set of filters or clean my tank
so I ate teh filters but kept the sample and then took samples when i filled back up a few more times. then as if by magic the pump filter at the station got so clogged the fuel would barley flow out the nozzle. I addressed this and sure enough mr. gm was concerned. I no longer buy fuel there.
I am not sure what they are doing but at this time fuel filters are expensive to be changing every tank. so i bit the bullet ang go to wally world which so far has been clean. I take smaples now regularly from my tank with a tygone tube, YUCk need a drain plug bad.
oh and mr. gm has a diesel powered truck he showed little concern which is typical for this area.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Flyguy,great to have you with us :thumbs

Sounds like a Dahl 100 would be useful in your situation with that station there Robert.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SDD Flyguy:sweet

Congrats on yer new PSD, yer guna like it. Lots of info Diesel stuff here.

Jump In.

JOE

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
bill
been eyeballing extra filters and may have to soon hang one on. for some reason we are getting sand in the fuel , red fine grain sand,
however when i swapped out the lcf fuel drain fitting sunday I got clear fuel so i was :D
so many pokers in the fire right now and so little daylight

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58