Question diesel in radiator

zudnik

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have an 02 f-250 7.3 diesel and have been getting what smells like diesel fuel in my radiators overflow tank and eventually overflows thru the weep hole, and seems to take a lot longer then normal to reach operating temp., 20 min. or better any ideas whats going on???:(

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
on a 7.3, that's usually a sign of a cracked injector cup

the long warm-up time probably isn't tied to it, unless the hydrocarbons have degraded/damaged the thermostat..

zudnik

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
so is that a major fix or not bad, do it yourself fix or have a pro do it??? truck has 112,000 miles so thermostat may be bad also. Thanx for the help!!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You will want to look closely at the water pump. Mine died at 122,000 miles on my IDI 7.3.

Dave

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Injector cups to some are a DIY Job but to most it is a mechanic's job. Depending on which one is leaking it is possible (though not easy) to do it without pulling the head(s), most who DIY will pull the heads and take it to a shop to have the heads refreshed and new injector cups at the same time.

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To DIY the injector cups you need to know someone with the tool to do it or know someone who will rent you the tool. The tool is very expensive to buy for one time use. If you do plan on doing it you better figure on getting new o-rings for the injectors some will undoubtedly be bad. I don't know if any of the site sponsors will loan you a tool or not but Swamps diesel will rent one to you.

It's a relatively easy process just make sure you follow all the steps you do when pulling the injectors.

zudnik

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanx for the input, has been very helpful. have also been told it could be a cracked head, hopefully this isn't the case. will probably try and find a shop to do the work, if its not too expensive, as i'm not really familiar with diesel engines. will let ya know how it all goes. :)

zudnik

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ive heard this too, but first will try and get the diesel out of the coolant, then will change thermostat ( diesel site has one, 203 deg stat) and will probably do water pump then , before it dies. thanx for the heads up!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58