Diesel leak?

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive noticed some diesel on top of my front axle. It appears as if its dripping from above the battery cable, almost directly below the fuel filter. I understand that the o ring around the water/fuel sensor can fail, but this is not the case. Everything on the top of the engine is dry, I just cant seem to find where its coming from.

Since the lines are pressurized while im driving, i only notice a few drops in the driveway, so it is clearly something in the line. I was talking to my soon to be brother inlaw and he said something about a pressure release. After the engine is turned off the pressure in the line releases and "drains". Ive never heard this before, this is my first encounter with a fuel issue. Could the little bit of diesel I am seeing just be a pressure release? I am doubting it since I just started noticing the oil residual on my axle. Can anyone help me out? Any tips on wear my fuel line routes, and maybe some key points where I might start looking would help out great. Id like to not lose my gold laced diesel... at least for what Im paying for it it might as well be gold laced...

thanks in advance.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have never heard about the release of fuel pressure. something else to consider. When you are driving along and the fuel drips out of somewhere, it will get blown back towards the rear, by a few inches. So your leak is a bit forward of where you are seeing it drip. Good luck.

Dave

JRJ04

Reaction score
check the o-ring seal on the fuel filter bowl to make sure the lid is seating properly. pressure will bleed off the heads and back towards the tank.

other thing to check would be your FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator), located just in front of the fuel bowl. make sure fuel isnt leaking from that. theres an o-ring there and keeps things sealed up tight. youll see the fuel lines running to the fuel bowl from there and you should be check things out.

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the o-ring seal on the fuel filter bowl to make sure the lid is seating properly. pressure will bleed off the heads and back towards the tank.

other thing to check would be your FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator), located just in front of the fuel bowl. make sure fuel isnt leaking from that. theres an o-ring there and keeps things sealed up tight. youll see the fuel lines running to the fuel bowl from there and you should be check things out.

Thanks, ill check that tomorrow

forddeerediesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Also check the fuel bowl drain. Mine drains down on to the front axle when it is open. I've had to replace mine a few times. the yellow lever on the passenger side rear of the fuel bowl.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also check the fuel bowl drain. Mine drains down on to the front axle when it is open. I've had to replace mine a few times. the yellow lever on the passenger side rear of the fuel bowl.

X2.

There's a Fuel/Water Drain O ring rebuild kit available from Ford, or IH.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

this or if you've recently changed the filter that o-ring.

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive checked both the bowl O ring, and the fuel/water O ring. the bowl is dry, everything on top of the engine has no diesel residual whatsoever, as already stated. but what I didnt check is the drain lever. Thanks guys Ill get back on when I check that out. Thanks for the info, Ill keep yall posted.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58