Diesel Leak

bdf2723

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 1996 PSD that is leaking fuel. Looking at the engine from the front of the truck, on the right side of the fuel / seperator canister is a valve assembly. There are several fuel lines attached and there is what looks like a valve stem pointing toward the drivers side fender. That valve stem is spewing diesel fuel when the motor is running. After doing some research and finding some pictures of the assembly I see that there is usually a valve stem cap on the valve stem. I put one on and that stopped the leak. My question is, what is the valve assembly called and why did it start leaking? Did I have a cap on there that blew off? Is there supposed to be a valve stem inside of it? Any help would be appreciated. The leak seems to be stopped for now but I don't feel too comfortable about it.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a regular schrader valve on your regulator -- it should have a valve stem in it.

I wouldn't trust the cap to hold the fuel in for long. I'm not sure if you could rig up something with an off-the-shelf valve or if you'd need to replace the whole regulator...

Are you in TX? I've got an old regulator I could ship to you...

bdf2723

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks bbressler!!! The valve stem was missing. I just happened to have a couple of new stems here so I installed one and it stopped the leak completely. Then I added one of those chrome valve stem caps with a 3/8 inch head that I could tighten with a wrench to make sure it doesn't happen again. Should I be happy with that or do I need to get a different valve stem that has a different rubber material for a seal?

Thanks Again!

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think it would suffice like you've got it. Be sure to not overtighten the valve into the regulator, those regulators are easy to crack...

bdf2723

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks again. After I posted that last message I remembered that I got those valve stems from an AC repair kit so I would think they are better than regular tire stems. And yes I only used the wrench on the cap to make sure it was a little more than finger tight. I really appreciate your help. You saved me a trip to the shop and probably a ton of money.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks again. After I posted that last message I remembered that I got those valve stems from an AC repair kit so I would think they are better than regular tire stems. And yes I only used the wrench on the cap to make sure it was a little more than finger tight. I really appreciate your help. You saved me a trip to the shop and probably a ton of money.

That is why we are here :)

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again. After I posted that last message I remembered that I got those valve stems from an AC repair kit so I would think they are better than regular tire stems. And yes I only used the wrench on the cap to make sure it was a little more than finger tight. I really appreciate your help. [You saved me a trip to the shop and probably a ton of money.]

That is why we are here :)

Dave

X2 Dave.. I love this kinda stuff :sweet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58