Diesel Lubrication

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I had read somewhere that adding cetane retards timing but not positive,someone please chime in with correction.

Higher cetane doesn't retard timing, the only thing that can do that is programming. Fuel with higher cetane takes more heat and compression to combust. So lower cetane fuel combusts sooner but that's not "advanced timing" so to speak.

As for the comment on premium gasoline, some vehicles have higher compression ratios and need the higher octane so they don't have detonation problems also known as pinging. A gas engine that pings is having peak cylinder pressures while the piston is still on it's way UP, that is a loss in power and mileage. Today's advanced gas engines have knock sensors that tell the computer to pull timing when detonation occurs. When that happens the engine is not at full efficiency.

I will always pay more for BD. :usa 10% mileage loss with BD?? :dunno I must be lucky. I check my mileage each quarter and one of those it went up. Worst one was only down about a half-1 mpg but I had 4 injectors with bad o-rings. Now I'm back to 800 miles on 3/4ths tank.:cowboy:

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I went and bought two gallons of SuperTech for the trip. I'll see how it goes. And if it does quiet the truck some, as I have read it has for others, all the better. Thanks for all the information.:thanks

firemediceric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
B-100 has fewer BTUs than the same quanity of D-2. Lower BTUs generally translates to lower MPG.

Running my WVO blend I get 1-2 MPG less than on D2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58