Diesel Site Coolant Filter installation issue

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel Site Coolant Filter *Update*

When I replaced my water pump last December I purchased Diesel Site's coolant filter kit for the 7.3L, but I have yet to install it because it will not fit between my upper radiator hose (it goes outside the belt) and my Volant cold air intake.

I have called Diesel Site, but since they are in the middle of a busy time I thought I would check to see it anyone else has had such an issue?

Last edited:

JRNOLL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Ford AIS and when I installed the filter I had to loosen the radiator support bolts and move the radiator about 1/4" after that no problem. Hope this helps. Joe

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moving the radiator would help, but I don't see how that is possible. I see that there is play in the upper mounts to move, but aren't the lower mounts fixed in place?

Diezel Dawg

vvv Real NW Truck
Reaction score
i had the same problem, sold my AFE Stage 2, sold my DIeselsite f=coolant filter kit, and got the whole shebang from TYMAR performance, Intake and coolant filter, no issues now

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I ended up moving nothing and squeezing the coolant filter in. Yes, the filter contacts both the radiator hose and the air intake, but it filters my engine coolant.

Anyways, I thought some people debating about buying a coolant kit might want to see these horrible pictures I took (it was at night, in the garage, etc.). Here are the background facts:

5 June 2009
152,886 miles
I flushed the system with distilled water (drain, water, warm, drain, water, warm, drain, refill) and filled it with Ford coolant (green) and coolant additive. I also installed a 203* thermostat and aluminum housing.

November 2009
The front seal on my water pump starts leaking

12 December 2009
164,833 miles
I replace water pump, upper and lower hose (with the one that goes around the belt), flush twice with distilled water, and fill with Ford green and additive.

26 March 2010
171,107 miles
I install the coolant filter (finally).

23 August 2010
179,047 miles
I replace coolant filter (used NAPA 4070).

I say all this to highlight the fact that the system had been flushed 6,500 miles before the filter was installed and here is what it collected in 8,000 miles and five months of service. DieselSite recommends changing the filter every three months for the first year of use, so I did go two months long. What you see in the picture is little bits of white corrosion (what you would expect to see around coolant fitting on older cars). I think maybe it is called scaling. Enough poor descriptions, here are the poor pictures.
vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lonestar,

You may want to see if you can get some air space between the filter and radiator hose and housing. Chaffing , rubbing of radiator hose with filter housing - not good. a little air space buys peace of mind.

Butch Cassidy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58