Diesel smell in cab

Bichn69

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm a new subscriber I have a 2001 7.3L Excursion 140,000 miles

My latest problem....Smelling diesel in the cab. I have looked for exhaust leak cannot find one. Looking for black soot at all joints and there isn't any. The exhaust has only been on the truck for about 6 months its the AFE 4" exhaust straight though. I took it to the car wash yesterday and washed underneath and on top of the engine. Then took it for a drive to dry it off and brought it home and put new cardboard under to see if there was any fuel leaks to trace back but there wasn't anything.

OK this sound a little stupid but while driving if i turn the heater fan on med the smell is really strong but turn it to high and the smell lets up but still comes in...Sounds stupid but true.

Any help would be great?

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Have you looked in the valley to see if there is any fuel there.

Have you looked at the frame rail under the engine......is it wet?

Just a couple of places to start looking................

Tbar

NVJAY775

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It may be on the back of your fuel bowl. The fuel bowl that holds the fuel filter on top of the engine that is. On the back of that there's a yellow lever for letting any water out of the bowl. The seal sometimes leaks. The funny thing about it is it will usually leak when the engine is warming up. After the engine temp gets to normal operating temp it may stop. My 99 did it and now my 2000 is doing it. When it gets bad it will drip from under the back of the engine. If you're looking for drips on the driveway. Hope this helps.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
When the valve starts leaking it goes down the drain tube and dribbles all over the frame rail. If it is just starting to drip it wont hit the ground..........hence my suggestion to look at the frame rail to see if it is wet.

Here is a pic of the valve.........it is located behind the fuel filter bowl.

Tbar

Bichn69

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses.

I have looked in the valley and it does look like it is a little wet back there. Can i just replace the o-rings or should i go ahead and buy the valve and all?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses.

I have looked in the valley and it does look like it is a little wet back there. Can i just replace the o-rings or should i go ahead and buy the valve and all?

Just my .03 worth but, Often, replacing Part of a seven year old Part that's leaking doesn't fix the leak. Sometimes ? Maybe ? ;) :)

The replacement valve comes as a kit. All new stuff.

Your Call tho :dunno ;tu ;tu

Doghead

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I Have a 2001 and was having a diesel smell in the cab also. It took a while to figure out but the bracket that holds the passenger side fuel return line had worn a small hole in to the line. The fuel would weep out and was pooling in the back of the valley. By the time I found it it was pretty much a fountain.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14