Help Needed Diesel Smell

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This started last Friday but wasn't as bad as it is now. Started smelling just a little diesel when I turned the truck on from the air vents, but would go away shortly after.

So now I am in Florida AGAIN :rant and left to head out and check a job this moring and go to where I was going and turned the truck off walked around the front and got a big wiff of diesel fuel. Looked under the truck to see if it was leaking out on the ground. Ground was dry and so was the bottom of the motor.

Popped the hood and started crawling around, of course went right to the fuel bowl. Started looking and could see that the valley was wet and close to the back almost under the turbo was a small puddle. Could really see anything leaking anywere but of course it was cold and the sun was setting fast.:dunno

So after leaving the job and heading home again get the smell at start up and then it goes away. But that would be normal because no air pushing it out of the engine compartment. When I get back to the house I lift the hood with the engine still running and then is a slightly bigger puddle in the valley now. I can see were it is coming from now. The little tab on the back of the fuel bowl (the one to let the fuel out of the bowl) it is dripping out from underneath there.

What could have happened? How do I fix it? Need help on this don't really know how much fuel is coming out but I do know that the fuel mileage is dropping fast and the truck is kind of missing like it is getting air in the system. Wish DieselSite had their fuel bowl delete kit out so I could just get rid of that bowl.

I know that ITP has one but it has no filters on it. Thanks for the help.

O' one other thing, finally figured out what that vibration was. Had a broke motor mount on the passenger side of the engine. Ordered two new motor mounts and a tranny mount. Will be at the house on Friday when I get back in town. Sounds like I am going to have a busy weekend.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful site. Ordered new o-rings from ebay for 4.00 but started leaking so bad that I went to the sealer ship and spent 29.00 on the o-ring kit. Crazy. Getting ready to put all back together.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Yep when they start leaking it is a very short time before they start pouring.

Glad you are getting it all put back together :sweet The smell will be around for a few days...

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep when they start leaking it is a very short time before they start pouring.

Glad you are getting it all put back together :sweet The smell will be around for a few days...

Yes you are correct once it starts it won't stop. Still have the smell but when I get home I'll put some cleaner in the valley and get rid of that.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I'll put some cleaner in the valley and get rid of that.

Thats how I have cleaned mine out before. I dump a big cup of simple green in the valley and let it sit for about a half hour. After it has soaked I stick a garden hose with no nozzle on it down in under the HPOP and turn it on low. I let the garden hose run for another half hour and the valley is nice and clean. :)

JRJ04

Reaction score
hey sorry to hijack, but where exactly are the motor mounts? what do they look like? i have a vibration too and cant find the culprit and want to check that out. thanks!

DR.billZ

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Been there, done that. Happened in Colorado(1,200 miles from home). Found the problem and had it fixed within a few hours......including going to get parts.
Actaully a friend found it that doesn't have a Powerstroke.

Last edited:

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey sorry to hijack, but where exactly are the motor mounts? what do they look like? i have a vibration too and cant find the culprit and want to check that out. thanks!

Underneath. If you climb under look next to the oil pan and you will see some bolts on the front cross member. I took a 2x4 and put it on a jack and started jacking it up on the oil pan. Not to much just enough to see if the engine would move. I could see that the pass side lifted but the driver side didn't move.

Apparently there are locking rings on the motor mounts now so the engine does try to jump out of the engine compartment. That's why it was so hard to find because the engine really didn't move when looking at it. Can't wait to get home and install the new mounts and get rid of the vibration. Getting old

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58