Question Diesel swap

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What trucks would I be able to swap my 99 F250 7.3L and 6spd into? I'm talking bolt in or close to bolt in and drive. My truck is starting to get rough but the motor/driveline are still very good condition. I'm thinking to get a gas motor low rust version of my truck and swap out the drivetrains.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think any truck up to a 2003 with a 7.3 would be a good swap.
Don't know about going to a gas truck, I think it could be done if
your real good at working on trucks. I am sure other will be along
soon.
Doug

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I tell you a trick. If you get the same body style and bed and cab are the size, just pull the cab and bed off and bolt them to your old frame and you have a newer truck. Two day job give or take a day.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Well I tell you a trick. If you get the same body style and bed and cab are the size, just pull the cab and bed off and bolt them to your old frame and you have a newer truck. Two day job give or take a day.

Agreed. I know pullin a cab is roughly a day depending on if you got someone helpn ya. But you have to remember the electronics on a gas vs a diesel is different unless you just keep your old dash and swap it in your new cab. But that will be a pita!

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I think I'd swap the beds, and then cannibalize the cab for whatever I needed.. rockers, doors, etc.

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I like the idea of swapping cabs and beds. I got some money in the springs and chassis on my truck. If I found a nice bodied high mileage gasser in the 99-03 range can you think of any problems I'd hit?

I know the pcm and instrument cluster need to remain together unless I get a reprogram (I've ran into that before).

My other consideration is I have a supercrew long bed. I want a crew cab short bed. Can those swap?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to change the cab/bed configuration then you'll want to swap drivetrain to the new frame & body as the step up behind the cab on you SC will hit the body on the CC cab.

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to change the cab/bed configuration then you'll want to swap drivetrain to the new frame & body as the step up behind the cab on you SC will hit the body on the CC cab.

Aww, i forgot about that. The frame does kick up by the fuel tank. Thanks for the heads up.

Would an Excursion body sit on my frame?

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With some modifications, the Excursions had their own frame the rear hitch was an integral part of the frame.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14