DIESEL TECH

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HI GUYS,
Hi guys, any of you have any idea how i would go about getting a job and schooled in becomming a diesel tech? i am real mechaniclly inclined.
Not sure where to start? Any techs please jump in
thanks

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I'd check with various vocational- technical schools in your area. Many schools also have job fairs when graduation time approaches.

Another source of info or advice may be to visit a heavy truck repair facility and talk to the manager or supervisor. Tell him (or her) that you're interested in the carrier field and would like to know what they (as employers) look for in potential qualified employees.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id talk to THESE GUYS

and see if you can get on w/ a shop...i BET an independant shop
would hire you & give you better experiance & OJT

also turbotraining.com

i think if you can get ASE certified it will at least get the attn of
potential employers.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Where are you located, Melmount?
As said I'd check in with some local shops and see what you can find.
I'm a full time tech, with my own shop, working mostly on ag equipment. I never went to any special school for it (not to brag at all), but did go to the "school of hard knocks for a few years :D. Basically if you have enough knowledge to get a job in a shop, and are have a good attitude, very eager to learn, you should do fine. Whatever type of repair you are involved in, the OEM will have brand- specific training for techs. I did get a very good opportunity at a New Holland ag equipment dealership a few years ago, (was good friends with the lead tech) worked there for 18 months, it was an excellent experience. They never did send me to any OEM schools :( , but i suspect it was because I was making them too much money doing what I was.
If you are looking to get into the automotive sector, you may need some sort of prior training.

Hope this helps

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Hands down one of the best schools in the nation is HERE.

They have 7 locations in the US with the main campus here in Wyoming. I dont know how old you are or if you are thinking about going back to school full time or if you are looking to hire on with a shop and have them train and foot the bill.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How old are you and do you have any felony convictions/other disqualifying background? If you're clean on that stuff (and young enough, but those limits are ever-flexible), have you thought about joining the military? Pretty much every service branch has diesel mechanics and the bennies of having some honorable active-duty time are pretty hard to deny. Even if you only did 4 years and then punched, with an Honorable Discharge and some solid training/experiences you'd be a competitive candidate vs. civilians w/o that background. The military isn't for everyone and, given the current world situation, there's a chance you could go overseas (the chance of you going is dependant on service branch/specialty) but, as with every major life decision, you'd have to weigh the pros/cons and make a reasoned decision vs. jumping in without careful consideration.

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Northwestern College in Ohio is a great school. Cat really needs some smart techs. The spring in a dust seal was pulled out anf the tech thought it was a bearing. He was a new employee.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg