Update DieselSite coolant filter

brianjbeach85

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just got done installing the DieselSite coolant filter system.. only real pain in the ass about it is i definately lost some coolant when splicing the rubber tube before heater core valve.. so tight i couldnt cut it quickly!. at any rate it is in and working an NO LEAKS. Question for you guys though. I JUST had the cooling system flushed maybe 50miles ago.. when in your opinions should i change the filter on this system? 10k? 5k? advice, suggestions greatly appreciated.

brianjbeach85

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Heres a shot of mounting bracket (pain in the *****) used a closed wrench and 3M taped one side put bolt into it... only way to keep it from falling out as i tried to thread it behind radiator support. other shot is obviously the air bleeder line i taped into for return from filter to radiator. All in all not too bad!

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think most 6.0 guys are changing out the first one at 1000 miles and number#2 at 4 or
5000 miles and then once a year after that. I am sure other will tell you how they did it on there trucks. Good luck.
Doug

brianjbeach85

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yeah if anyone else has input that would be great. only thing that gets me is i JUST changed the whole system out with a cooling system flush so is 1k miles realistic? or should i push it to 5k since i have FRESH coolant?

JRNOLL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a DieselsSite coolant filter on my Early 99 Superduty. I installed it when I changed the water pump at 125K. The only problen I had was clearance on the drivers side Battery. Just loosened the radiator and shifted it about 1/4 inch. I change filters every other oil change, About 6K. At the same time I check the Fw-16 (or whatever they are calling it this week ) for the proper concentration. Hope this helps. Joe

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah if anyone else has input that would be great. only thing that gets me is i JUST changed the whole system out with a cooling system flush so is 1k miles realistic? or should i push it to 5k since i have FRESH coolant?

A coolant filter is less than $10. Change it out at 1k miles and be prepared to be surprised. And glad.

Good luck.

Al

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A coolant filter is less than $10. Change it out at 1k miles and be prepared to be surprised. And glad.

Good luck.

Al

X2.

Don't know why a 6.0 would be any different than a 7.3... but when I installed a coolant filter (7.3).. I changed the first filter @ 500 miles. It was Plugged. Changed again @ 1K.. 2/3rds Plugged*. Then @ 1500 it started to clear things out. changed it anyway... then once a year.. to date.

These things are loaded with Casting sand, grit and scale. Just because we do a Flush.. doesn't mean we've flushed all the crap out of the crooks & cranys.. where it collects.. then travels around, collects again.. on & on.

The coolant filter WILL trap it all.. Fer Shur.

Cut the first one open and check it out.. yul see what we mean by Surprized :)eek:) & Glad. :));))

Joe

* and that was after a Thorough Flush & Refill.

Last edited:

brianjbeach85

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ill change it at 1k then.. any chance u guys know if i can get another filter at say napa or autozone? trying to find a place local maybe besides buying from dieselsite.com.. not that i dont like the business, but just hassle ordering and waiting for shipping lol

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill change it at 1k then.. any chance u guys know if i can get another filter at say napa or autozone? trying to find a place local maybe besides buying from dieselsite.com.. not that i dont like the business, but just hassle ordering and waiting for shipping lol

Sure.. The Baldwin # is B5134. I get'm at the local Car-Quest store. I'd betcha Auto-Zone and the like, would have them too ? Cross the Baldwin # :dunno

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58