Differential work quote

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never had to get much work done on any vehicle so I don't know how much things cost. I need to get 4.10 gears installed because of the 35" tires. The mileage is all goofed up and the truck has to work harder. I want to get the strain off of the tranny and get the boost pressure back down. I push about 7-9 lbs of boost just to go 70mph on the highway. It used to be 5 or less. It doesn't want to shift into overdrive less then 47mph either. Anyway, I got a quote for parts and labor for both axles and the estimate was $2900.:eek: Now he said that he was going to figure it on the high side so in the end, it shouldn't cost more than that. It sounded like he was telling me that the price he was giving me was "worst case" and it shouldn't be that. Does this sound reasonable to any of you guys? It seems high to me but I don't really know how much this kind of job cost. He did say that working on Dana 60 axles sucks so I can understand why the front may be a little high. My money tree hasn't matured yet so I don't know where I'm going to get the cash for this, much less a rental for the three days the PSD will be in the shop. Let me know if this quote is extreme or if its about right.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1200 per diff is a worst case (bearings and seals)...
id do some shopping around...and id want a warranty of
12/12 at least !

dlonno

BeerHunter
Reaction score
Thats way too high. I bought my own gears for $200, master bearing kit for $180 and paid my shop $350 to install them. Your best off buying the gears and bearing kit yourself and taking it to shop and asking how much to install. Otherwise they are going to try and make money on the sale of parts.

Diesel

Cetane Addict
Reaction score
Thats way too high. I bought my own gears for $200, master bearing kit for $180 and paid my shop $350 to install them. Your best off buying the gears and bearing kit yourself and taking it to shop and asking how much to install. Otherwise they are going to try and make money on the sale of parts.

I definatley wouldn't do that! I would buy the gears from whoever does the install that way they have to warranty the whole job. They could always try to blame a setup failure on the gears and vice versa. I say buy it all in one place.

From 3.73 to 4.10 you should expect to pay about $15-1800 depending on the type of gears you get , the fluid you use and local shop rate.

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to get a few quotes before I buckle down on something. There is a diesel performance shop somewhere around here and I'll go talk to that guy. He doesn't do diffs so he wont try to make up a bunch of stuff. Besides, he probably would recommend a place to do the work anyway. The guy I went to gets most of the dealerships differential work so at least I know these guys have a good reputation. I just want to make sure they aren't robbing me.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id look for a tranny / drive line shop...diesel engine work doesnt
necessarily qualify 'em for diff swap.

the hardest part on this is setting the backlash & clearance...if its
not set right the diff will eat itself apart in short order.

Diesel

Cetane Addict
Reaction score
If ya want to drive a little ways you can go here.
Should be at or under 2k for the gear job.

Charlotte, NC
4 Wheel Parts Performance Center
* 4004 South Blvd
Charlotte, NC 28209
View Google Map
Hours
* Mon-Fri: 9am - 6pm (Local Time)
* Saturday: 9am - 5pm (Local Time)
* Sunday: Closed
Contact
* Phone: 704-525-2224
* Fax: 704-525-2290
* email: [email protected]
Staff

* Store Manager: Ryan Adams
* Asst Manager: Aaron Van Riper
* Service Manager: Craig Sutton

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is also this place , it's a little closer.
Scott's Automotive
2842 Charleston Hwy.
W. Columbia, SC 29172 USA
803-796-9345

Either way, you know it's not a 1 day job right?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14