Differentialhelp

dantheman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Kind of stuck here. I had a friend get stuck in the mud the other night and tried to pull him out and no luck. So we go home and going to try again in the morning. I let him drive the truck home and when he comes to pick me up in the morning I notice the differential leaking. I am not talking a drip drip, it was coming out fast. I am assuming that the seal finally gave out and notice a slight crack in the cover. I was able to move the truck on some level ground before it all came out. So, I am assuming I would just need to change the seal and cover. Is there anything else i should look for?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am sure that is all you need. When a diff goes, the truck will not move without LOUD banging. That and big chunks of gears will be in the cover. Good Luck and that is why I don't like cast diff covers.

Dave :(

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
The cracked cover raises a red flag for me.......... How'd it crack?

Could it be the same guy that got stuck in the mud might have been doing a little wheeling in your truck?

I let him drive the truck home and when he comes to pick me up in the morning I notice the differential leaking.

dantheman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
Could it be the same guy that got stuck in the mud might have been doing a little wheeling in your truck?

No, I seriously doubt it.

Also, have any suggestions of aftermarket covers? Or should I stick with OEM?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Mag-Hytec makes good aftermarket covers for the diffys, about 240 dollars, and you can have a stock Ford cover for probably less than 50 bux.

HCAbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing the pinion seal this weekend, and then I am going to sand down my diffcover and paint it again!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14