Digital Cameras

threejacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for digital camera. What is everyone using, pixels reccomended, price range? I am looking for the best value. There is a difference in cheap and inexpensive.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I have a Kodak EasyShare CX7430 and it is great. 4.0 megapixel and only about $100 I think, it was a gift. It uses rechargeable batteries that have a good life span which sure helps. I hated normal batteries that die so quickly. Uses simple USB cable or dock to transfer and print.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I have a Cannon Power Shot A520 4.0 MP that is usually sold for $199 at Target or Wally world. It was a Christmas/Birthday combination gift also throw in that I was having my second child and grandma wanted pictures.:)

At first I used alkaline batteries but that got old, and I bought 4 Energizer rechargables with charger for less than $10 and that has solved that. It came with 16MB card that I upgraded to a 512MB card at Fry's for $40 +/-

Overall I would say I'm very pleased and would spend my own $199 on this camera.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
What do you want to do with it?? Are you looking for a point and shoot or a DSLR with the ability to have multiple lenses and options?

Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Fuji all make good P&S camera's in a wide variety of prices.

On the DSLR side Nikon and Canon are the most popular. I use a Nikon D70s and have 4 lenses and other goodies.

Check out B&H Photo for more camera gear stuff than you'll ever need. The service is great, prices are right and no taxes unless you live in New York.

Some of my pics are here My Photo's

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I'm a Sony whore!:D I use a DSC-P73 and like it alot.

Came with rechargeabls and charger but only 16mb memory stick. I like how you can change from E-mail(640x480 IIRC), 1mp, 2 mp, 3mp and 4mp with a couple button pushes.:sweet

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an olympus Camedia C60 that runs on a rechargeable battery. It's a discontinued model now so that's not too much good for you as you'll more than likely find out for most of the specific models for the less expensive P&S cameras. I got mine for about $150 and it's a 5MP camera if memory serves me right. Uses a rechargeable Lithium battery that's good for a weekend of 500+ pictures. Has optical & Digital zoom with the ability to block use of digital zoom.

I'll presume that you want a P&S camera as opposed to DSLR. Basic facts to compare are.

1. Optical Zoom, (not total zoom just the optical portion, If it doesn't say optical it's not)
2. MP capability. If you're looking to print standard a 4X6 then 2-3MP (I have an old 1.2MP that works acceptably, upon close examination I can see the difference but as a glance at the picture you don't notice it) is great when you start going up in size start going up rapidly and minimize or eliminate use of digital zooms. Pay attention to a digital zoom as it zooms it decreases the effective MP of the camera (2X digital zoom just took your 4mp camera down to a 2mp effective)
3. Batteries - matter of personal preference here, standard AA batteries do not last long even if you buy the expensive super dooper made for electronics batteries.

If battery life is important to you then find a camera that has a traditional viewfinder. Using the LCD screen on the cameras chews up battries very very quickly.

CBSuperDuty

Got Looney???
Reaction score
Optical zoom is what you want. The more the better. Mega Pixels is the same. My father-in-law just got a Cannon A700 and I think I am going to pick one up soon too. It is 6X optical zoom and 6 Mega Pixels. I think it runs around $300.00.

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
Portability is a big deal. A great camera does no good if it is at home because it is big. I have an Olympus 2.1 MP with a 10X zoom that takes great pictures but it is big. I just bought a Casio 5MP with a 3X zoom that is a bit smaller than a wallet for the wife. It was $200 and should be easy to carry around. Also ready to shoot in less than 2 sec.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14