Dimming Lights

jarrod1995

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
When I first start my truck, my volt meter is low. Then it all the sudden jumps up and the lights get brighter. Any Clue, thanks Jarrod.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
the glow plugs continue to cycle for a minute or two even after start up. It's normal.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Confirm by testing that the batteries are in GOOD charge/load
condition & that the alternator is working (output-ing correctly).

jarrod1995

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Im getting about 13.9 to 14.2/3 and both batteries are new. Timed it tonight and it does it from 55 to 61 seconds, it has to sit for about 15 minutes to do it again. If you shut it right off and try it, doesnt do it.

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
Tx_Atty said:
mine does the same thing. really, it's normal.

Absolutely mine does too. Our glow plugs are not dictated by the wait to start light. The wait to start light stays on a time interval calculated by the pcm based on engine oil temp and engine coolant temp. Your glow plugs can stay on for up to two minutes after startup. A proper functioning glowplug system can pull upwards of 100 amps...that's more than the factory charging system puts out, so if your voltometer doesn't drop its time to worry cause the glow plug system isn't working.

jarrod1995

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You guys are awsome, this diesel stuff has been a little scary. Let me get my hands on a helocopter and its all good, but this is a whole new learning experience. Thanks for the help.

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I owned a GM 6.5 diesel before this truck, the glows would cycle also but the wait to start light would flash with it. I've noticed this occuring on my truck also and have tried to give a little gas and hold the rpms around 1000 and you would notice the volt meter surging for approx 40-50 seconds due to the glows cycling.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg