dino or synthetic

Garin1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I may be opening a can of worms here. If so I apologize. I would like to get some input, pro or con, about the use of dino oil as opposed to synthetic oil. There is a rather large and heated debate going on at one of my rv forums and I would like to hear from you guys about this.:sweet

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Garin1 said:
I may be opening a can of worms here. If so I apologize. I would like to get some input, pro or con, about the use of dino oil as opposed to synthetic oil. There is a rather large and heated debate going on at one of my rv forums and I would like to hear from you guys about this.:sweet

The independent guys at Blackstone say they can't tell a difference between petroleum and synthetic in regards to wear metals, etc, in the samples. But personally, my truck seems to run quieter on synthetic and have smoother startups. That and synthetics won't "coke"--according to a post by John Boy from the Banks website. But there's plenty of happy guys running about every which oil you can imagine so it's personal preference. Syn's are $$$$$. :2c -popcorn

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am running Rotella 5W40 syn to cure the romps at startup. It runs smoother and a bit quieter.

Dave :)

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I chose Rotella Syn. 5W-40 for the following reasons... but had used Motorcraft 15W-40 for the first 50,000 miles with zero problems.

1) I live in Kansas City and need better cold weather flow properties of syn.

2) I like the hot and cold properties of syn. after reading about them over the years.

3) I can readily buy it at Walmart as some other quality brands are only available at certain distributors and outlets.

4) Rotella - Syn. is CI4+ rated and this is the newest highest rating for diesel oils (other oils have it to, but read the lables).

5) I picked up 1mpg after switching.

6) I change oil and filter every 5,000 miles regardless of how I have driven and regardless of oil brand or type used.

Good luck on what you choose. A name brand quality oil that is CI4+ rated will do you right.

Garin1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Beachbumcook, you threw a fly in the ointment. Why the first 50 on dino. I am new to diesel trucks:thanks

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garin1 said:
Beachbumcook, you threw a fly in the ointment. Why the first 50 on dino. I am new to diesel trucks:thanks

It took me a long time to learn and understand the benefits and get on the synthetic oil train!!! No reason to wait that long. Others say switch at 3,000miles and others say 10,000 miles to break the motor in.

Mobil 1 website says that todays motors do not need to break in and others just do it for some "old reason". I waited becuase I wasn't smart enough soon enough!!! I am very happy with the synthetic oil benefits and cooler weather operational benefits.

Worknman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
dino or syn

Well I had a 2001 7.3 and I switch to syn. at 3000 miles and it took for ever for that thing to break, in I would use approx. one to two quarts of oil to go to my cabin up north, and all of the sudden it stopped using that much oil at approx 24000 miles. And it got expensive to keep running amsoil when you use one to two quarts every other weekend, But I stuck with it never any complaints after that.:thumbs

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worknman said:
Well I had a 2001 7.3 and I switch to syn. at 3000 miles and it took for ever for that thing to break, in I would use approx. one to two quarts of oil to go to my cabin up north, and all of the sudden it stopped using that much oil at approx 24000 miles. And it got expensive to keep running amsoil when you use one to two quarts every other weekend, But I stuck with it never any complaints after that.:thumbs

Wow.... we will call you "Daddy War Bucks" for that much oil at their high rates!!!

Glad to hear all went well after 24,000 miles.

Enjoy it.... I am.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14