Disassembling EGR valve

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend of mine about installing the EGR delete kit on my truck. He was telling me to remove the EGR valve, cut the lower mechanics of the valve and reinstall to maintain the OEM look instead of installing the cover plate as indicated in the kit. He says that it will look original while still acting like there is no valve installed.

I am not sure if I would want to do this yet my left side of my brain says why not...... It would still look like the valve is installed and I will not have to worry about SMOG checking.

Has anyone heard of this or done this??

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have heard about this being done. The advantage is that the EGR valve does not throw any codes this way. The system has the EGR to command and the valve responds. It won't clog up either. :thumbs

Dave

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
that's what I was thinking. I think that I will just do that. If it doesn't throw a code and it looks like factory install all should be good.

jetallman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do it show a pic of what is cut off please. Sure hate to cut the wrong piece off a $275 part. I cleaned mine and will be pulling my camper again tuesday to omaha should find out then if the wrench light stays off, I also did the coolant flush and installed the fleetrite coolant. No smog checking here in Missouri

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
If you don't have smog testing the you can just install the blank plate provided with the kit after removing the EGR valve. I will upload pics from the one I do though.

jetallman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have smog testing the you can just install the blank plate provided with the kit after removing the EGR valve. I will upload pics from the one I do though.
May want to trade the truck off at some point and also I think the delete kit is over $300 if I looked at the right part.

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
Okay I got the truck running again, EGR delete installed. I had to remove the injectors (5 &7) to push the water out of the cylinders for prevent hydrolock --- That was fun. It smoked white for a while but that was from the coolant in the cat and muffler. I installed the flat blank over the EGR valve location until I modify the EGR valve itself (I will post pics later).

One of the issues I am having now is turbo farts on acceleration and deceleration, with the black smoke while the turbo tries to wind up. When I ease it up to speed no smoke. I am looking at maybe a bad sensor because I checked the turbo out when I had it out. It winds up fine when not under load but not when heavy acceleration.

CEL = P0132B Boost pressure
P0402 (?) Fuel level sensor incorrect input

Last edited:

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for the record - Usually it is easier to pull glow plugs to empty the cylinders from hydrolocking than remove injectors.

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
This may be true but I could not find exact instructions on the removal of the glow plug. I have already (in the past) replaced fuel injectors. Also, I read many warnings about ruining the glow plug rails/plugs due to extreme heat.

P.S. I did not forget to post pictures of the modified EGR valve, I just have not done it yet. Basically, I plugged it in and set it on top of the engine until I modify it.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14