Dish Network Problem

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
I just got Dish less than a month ago. The installer put the Dish on the front of the house and I moved it to the back today. Everything seemed fine until I tried a couple of channels like the Military channel and the locals. It says it is not getting a signal from satellite 110 and when I check the switch it says it is not getting anything from Port 2. Seems to me the 110 head of the Dish is dead and I notice the 119 side is warm but the 110 side is cold. I am getting a level of 86 on 119. When the installer installed it he only checked the level on 119 so I figured if I was good there I would be good in 110. Is is possible the head is dead? Did I hook it up wrong? There were 3 ports on the head, 1, 2, and IN. The cable was on 1 so that is where I connected it. I am at a bit of a loss. Any ideas? This is a 500 system with the DVR and there is a splitter wompus at the box.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I had done the same thing,moved the dish 500 unit from where the installer put it and had gotten a weks to no signal on the east bird but the west came in well.

What I use to get the sats down pat is a $10 Dish meter,it just takes a little to throw the two completely off.

Did you put a level to the post to be sure it's 100% level at 3 positions?

Haven't been into the setup diagnostics on the DVR522 in awhile but I think you put in your zip code and it'll generate your azimuth/elevation then make the necessary adjustments off the back of the dish then fine tune with a meter or a pair of FRS radios one at the dish and another at the TV set. :sweet

Maybe Ford Forgotton has gotten his feet wet with dish Network dual LNB dish setups for his chime in.

Bill

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is the I messed up the skew. I adjusted it with the reciever on 119 and that may not have been a good idea. Tomorrow I plan on setting the skew to the value recommended for my area and making sure the mount is completely level. I think it moved a bit when I tightend the mount. The fact that the 119 side is a bit warm and the 110 side is cold bothers me though. I am afraid the LNB died. Now the silly thing has reprogrammed the Guide so I cannot even tune the other channels. Another weird problem was it was saying the phone connection was bad so I checked it with a phone and it was fine so I tested again and it tested okay. The reciever is acting a bit flakey.

Max Power

Reaction score
It could be that your dish is out of align or your skew is off. You can easily check if it is the LNB buy swapping the 2 lnb's. If it is your results will be the opposite after the switch.

I doubt it is a bad LNB.

What do you have a for a switch? SW44? If so you can switch the 1A and 1B with the 2A and 2B. That will also help you eliminate the switch as being the problem.

My money is on it being out of adjustment.

What model of receiver do you have?

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
I have a DVR522 reciever and a DP Plus head P/N 151300 so all switches are supposedly built-in. I have aligned it 16 ways from Sunday. I am getting 86 on 119 but when I switch to 110 it says wrong satellite - Echostar 119. So it is acting like it is trying to recieve both satellites from the 119 head. From what I can tell the alignment between the two heads is set by the postion relative to each other so if on is set the other should be also. The only other thing I can figure is that the 110 head is blocked from its position on the back of the house but it would have to be way off from where is appears because it looks to me like the shot it gets from the back of the house is pretty clear in the direction the dish is pointed.

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
The dual LNB dish can be pretty tough as I had to do the same thing but it pretty much came down to skew adjustment.

Here's some PICS of the dishes I have installed.

We have the 522,Dish 500 and external Multi.

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
So it is normal for it to pick up 119 when set for 110 if it is not recieving 110 well? I would have thought it would just say No Signal. We messed with the skew today (wife had to go on the roof because I sprained my ankle yesterday and can't walk) and did not get anywhere. All I have left is that the mast is not level otherwise it must be an obstruction. I would hate to have to move it back to the front of the house.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I've found the 522's configuration setup to be abit finicky at times,have you run the multiswitch test?

But yeah the mast has to be 100% level by checking 3 sides and the top.

The signal on the 110* bird is about 100 and the 119*bird is at 112 on the on screen meter.

The Dish 500 is very touchy and can fall out of lock quite easily.

What signal numbers you getting at the 110 & 119 sats?

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
I am getting 86 for 119 and nothing for 110. I am really thinking the switch in the head is bad. It was giving me EXACTLY the same value for 119 and 110 but on 110 it said wrong satellite, that tells me it was still getting the signal from the 119 head otherwise the value should have been much lower. It has also had no value when set to 110 and it has given an error on the screen telling me to check the switch. The fact that it is being inconsistant makes me think it is no good. When I run the switch test I usually get no Xs in the 110 column but I have also gotten red Xs which I think indicates it is not working properly. I think I will see if I can get the satellite guys to let me try a new head on it. Are you supposed to get different signal values on the different transponders? I got as high as 124 on one of them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14