DIY front end alignment????? 2wd dually

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
ok i just put new springs in the front a couple days ago.had pieces of 2x4 jammed in the old ones to get the nose off the ground and slow the consuming of the inside edge of the tires :sly:lmao.everything in my front end is new and tight.i know there is a way to do it with a tape measure but i dont know how to do it.i dont have the money to spend on haveing a shop do it,and id rather do it myself.i hate other mechanics sticking thier hands in my vehicles,cant trust them.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC the 2wd trucks are a coil spring twin I-beam setup so you can do part of the alignment but not all of it with a tape measure.

All of the information is based on the twin I-beam front suspension setup, some may apply to other types of front suspensions but not all of it.

With a tape measure you can set the toe on the front axle you should have a slight tow inward and this is changed with the adjusting collar on the steering linkage. You simply measure straight across from one groove on the front of the tire and do the same on the rear of the tire. The front should end up being about 1/4" closer than the rear. For the compulsive you can pull the front tires off and clamp long levels or pieces of angle iron to give you a measurement out further.

The things that you cannot adjust with a tape measure and will greatly impact the handling and tire wear is the camber and caster. Both being adjusted with a cam that sits in with the ball joint. The cams may need to be swapped out as they only have a certain range of adjustability and this is what takes a $50 front end alignment and jumps the price up over $100.

Camber is the tilt of the top & bottom of the tire inward and outward. this will aggravate any tire wear problems and is similar to what you would see if the springs are too long or short. To get front tire weare under control you are going to need to have the camber checked and likely the adjustment cams replaced since you just replaced the front pieces.

Caster is the relationship of the two balljoints relative to vertical and has an impact on steering response & tracking and is rarely a problem on this type of front axle especially when toe & camber are within specs

BIG DUTY

F-250 Care Taker
Reaction score
sears does an alignment for $69.99. If parts are required it will be a little more. They use a laser alignment lift and have fully certified techs.

dpantazis

Reaction score
d00d- i hear what you are saying, but its not worth fussing with. x2 on BIG DUTY's post. you'll waste that on tire wear alone. you are money ahead doing it.

its one thing to get it close so that you can get it back on the road, but seriously consider getting it done.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
its gonna get proffesionaly done even though i dont trust other mechanics,90% of them are hacks.the truck handled fine since i bought it till the springs started sagging.tire wear was great till the springs started sagging.but its always pulled to the right a little.ive replaced everything in the front end now right down to the Ibeam bushings.i just need it close so i can get some decent tires on the front cuz im moving to another state and the tires i have on it definately wont pass inspection and i dont know anybody there that i can slip a 20 and say pass it like i do here.plus i want to put my aluminum rims back on the front cuz it looks like crap with the aluminums in the rear and steel in the front.probably wouldnt look too bad if i atleast had simulators on the front of it.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
sears does an alignment for $69.99. If parts are required it will be a little more. They use a laser alignment lift and have fully certified techs.

with them parts are always required.same with most shops and everything is brand new.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58