DIY Injector Teardown/Assembly for the Hardy (or is it foolhardy)

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Just a little project I did recently. No mods yet, just learning to tear one down and reassemble. Neat pics of the innards if nothing else.

I'm doing one from my truck this weekend to evaluate for WVO damage. Will post results/pics in the Bio Forum.

HEUI Teardown and Assembly

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're a braver man than I, Gunga Din, but at least you tore apart an Ebay special injector rather than one you had out of your truck--that could have turned out rather badly.:eek:

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
HMMMMMMMMM.now you gots me a thinkin again!!ive already done my own idm mod and am looking for something new to experiment with :thumbs :thanks

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Certainly not any harder than installing a transmission shift kit, at least as far as the teardown and reassembly goes. Of course if you have issues you would need injector test equipment to check for balance and nozzle break pressure, etc. But for basic cleaning, mods, replace broken spring, etc, certainly falls in the DIY category, IMO. In fact I've been informed (no names:D ) that not everyone building MOD'd injectors have the $15,000 test stands.

I initially got a few comments and messages from those who do rebuilds professionally suggesting it was a bad idea to encourage people to work on their own injectors. Not sure if it's trying to protect the monopoly of the few in the know or if it's actual concern for someone screwing things up. Funny as the tranny guys tend to be more helpful to people doing their own tranny rebuilds, but then thats an area where parts and info are easily obtained.

I'm reminded of the IDM mod that was a closely held secret of the few Joe Servo told about it. All the smoke and mirrors about needing a scope and special knowledge to do the Mod, when in reality that was only needed initially to develope the Mod, and after that just a matter of changing one resistor.

I'm not going to come right out and recommend you Mod your injectors, but it's certainly do-able and I won't discourage anyone with the will to take the risk from doing so themselves. I'll have one out of my truck tomorrow for an inspection teardown, so we'll see if I can make it work again. Have the replacement (torx) poppet screws and internal o-rings from Mylex International, so I'm anxious to get in there and do some damage:thumbs

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
BTW it's been awhile since Swamp has had the modifications ideas page available from his early experiments, but I found someone on AOL still has it posted :eek:

Swamps missing part 3, Injector Modification

Alot of it was speculation, but some good building blocks and interesting reading.:sweet

FWIW, my gut tells me to disagree with his idea of shortening the nozzle stop pin. Open is open there, and any additional movement to me is just going to take more fuel away from the injection volume.
Not an informed opinion, just my .02

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
JOAT said:
BTW it's been awhile since Swamp has had the modifications ideas page available from his early experiments, but I found someone on AOL still has it posted :eek:

Swamps missing part 3, Injector Modification

That is part of Jonathans original website, here's a few quotes taken from the site....

I do this web site as a hobby, with the hope that these ideas can help somebody else with their truck, (and also just for my own entertainment).

This site was uploaded on 11-8-99
Home Page.

You can get to part three by following "injector operation" to "injector modification".:thumbs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track