DIY injectors and DYNO results

psdan000

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
sorry i havent posted this over here yet...anyway got my DIY injectors built and in. man what a learning experience. heres some pics of the inside of the injectors for your enjoyment.

http://community.webshots.com/album/551435157ZsKiIg

not the greatest pics but you get the idea. also had the chance to dyno it this past weekend at indy. came up with 318rwhp and 643tq :burnit. thats with some old programming too that ive been informed is not the greatest so im having my chip reburnt this week. anyone considering getting one of jims DIY injector kits, do it, you wont regret it...unless you manage to break a nozzle like i did:rolleyes: ...but all in all it was a great learning experience and money well spent.

Last edited:

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
Right on!! so i have one question, did you have these tested on a flow bench?
Also what CC kit did you go with? Did you buy the pre machined pistons?

psdan000

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
no they are not flow tested. that is the only disadvantage to they DIY injectors. but if everything is in working order and the pistons are machined correctly (yes i did go with the pre machined pistons, 150cc's) then they should all flow the about the same. ive now put about 500 miles on them with no problems and the truck runs better than ever.

highfive

USMC HMH-465 88-94
Reaction score
Meant to ask you on the other site-
How did you break a nozzle?

Have my pistons being shipped from Jim today, went with 170's. Good to see the power you are putting down with yours, that is pretty much where I would like to be somewhere around 325rwhp if my fuel and HPOP can keep up, then it will be on to an IC I am sure. Nothin flat about the roads around here even the freeway.

Flow testing would be nice and maybe I can work out a decent deal with OFI here in town if I tell them what I am doing but other than finding a problem with one before you put it in the truck I don't think it's a big deal until you mess with the nozzles as long as the pistons are matched and everything is functional prior to the teardown. AFAIK most of the builders didn't have test benches until recently either.

Anyway, good job on the build and let me know what programming you end up with and how you like it. I have a DP 80hp chip right now but I may switch over to TDE1 programming as I would like the converter to stay locked.

psdan000

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i broke the nozzle on the second injector...i didnt put something together right in the very bottom injector. i think maybe one of the dowel pins or something and when i was screwing the 2 halves together, it got really tight really quick and it just popped. so just be careful putting all the pieces back together. if its all back together right, then you should be able to spin the nozzle and the rest on the internals will spin with it. also pay close attention on how the stop assembly comes out bc the pieces can easily be switched around or put in upside down. if you have anymore questions when you get around to them feel free to email me. BTW thanks Luke! hope to be in the 350hp range with a new oil pump and new programming...IC is coming soon too!

highfive

USMC HMH-465 88-94
Reaction score
How many broken nozzle springs did you have if any?

Did you clean the nozzles with anything on assembly?

thanks, will get in touch again.

psdan000

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
didnt have any broken nozzle springs, all were in good shape. in fact all the injector parts were in excellent shape upon teardown, just a little dirty. cleaned the nozzles with brake parts cleaner as recommended per Jim in the DIY kit and sprayed them out with an air compressor. then took a scotch bright (?) pad and cleaned the outside of the nozzles and the outside of he injector bodies as well (may want to do the outside of the injector before putting the new o rings back on so the brake parts cleaner doesnt deteriorate the new o rings). made them all look like new.

STROKIN96

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
WOW those are some nice #'s.....
...I cant wait to do mine :burnit
Are you running an SD HPOP???....I didnt think you would need one since the injectors are still stay AA's???

psdan000

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
still running stock oil...need to upgrade to a SD pump though bc if i get on it hard enough i will get a CEL...could be bc of a worn out oil pump though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14