DIY Intake failed State Inspection

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to have the inspection done on the X. They failed it due to the DIY intake being the paper filter. He said that up until the last few years they wouldn't pass the any open air filters but now it has to be a reusable filter such as k&n. This is a new one to me. Maybe if a put a prefilter over it they will think it is a reusable one.:dunno

JRJ04

Reaction score
thats ridiculous...the truck comes with a paper filter stock...

How is putting a bigger filter made from paper make it fail inspection? I'd sure be suspect of this shop because that makes no sense at all.

dpantazis

Reaction score
Politely ask the inspector to cite the section of the vehicle code.

It does make sense- the issue is the OPEN paper air filter- is not protected mechanically protected from debris or flying objects. it does not matter that its in the engine compartment.

A fabric sock over the filter might qualify.

You need to check the vehicle code.

dp

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
X2

You got it man, I am a licensed Mass state inspector and have never heard of such a thing ever! Go somewhere else and when they sticker your truck go get your money back from the "garage" that failed it. :guns:

JRJ04

Reaction score
well i will say this...i just had mine inspected in Houston with the DIY style filter and didnt get questioned at all. I do have a filter cover on it though....so to the unassuming eye, you might think its a washable reuseable filter.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I went to have the inspection done on the X. They failed it due to the DIY intake being the paper filter. He said that up until the last few years they wouldn't pass the any open air filters but now it has to be a reusable filter such as k&n.

That's BS.

7.3's come from the factory with a disposable paper filter, mine did. While it wasn't an open element, it was paper. Even the Ford approved AIS element is a non-permanent, disposable unit. The inspector stating that a permanent filter element is required, I'll put it softly spoken and just say it is "misinformation". K&N's (based on the experience of hundreds of Powerstroke owners on any of a dozen different forums) are bad for diesels. They don't filter as well as other filters.

The guy doesn't sell K&N's by any chance does he?

JRJ04

Reaction score
The guy doesn't sell K&N's by any chance does he?

MAN O MAN would I be interested to hear the answer to this. If he does, and you can prove him wrong...geez you could get the guy in a lot of trouble. Pls follow up with this...I'm intersted to see how it all pans out.

dpantazis

Reaction score
until the stroker21 clarifies things there is no point getting our panties in a bunch.

i do not think that the issued is the paper filter, its the aftermarket OPEN filter and the lack of a CARB compliance sticker that is going to make the inspector reject it.

the filter makers have spent the money for the compliance testing and you get the sticker with the system you purchase. DIY is not going to get the sticker. does not matter if the filter will make perfume or pure oxygen out of the exhaust stream. no sticker means headaches.

Texas Department of Public Safety - FAQs: Items of Inspection
scoll down for info on the air cleaners. even the regulatory agency is confused!

have a look at the info sheet in their link

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/TAC_newversion.pdf

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You Texans are really screwed up if you have to follow California's emissions standards!

Dave - and you now know why I am totally stock.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58