DIY INTAKE

jeffnzoya

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read quite a bit about the DIY INTAKE. Me being a DIY kind of guy I decided I would give it a try. The instruction I found said I need a 6637 filter from NAPA. A piece of 4 inch pvc and 4 4inch clamps. I went by the muffler shop and got a piece of 4 inch exhaust tubeing instead of the pvc and went home to do the mod.

After getting my factory air box off I found that with my factory tubes attached it would lay perfectly where the factory air box was.

The filter is round and shaped like a canister not the cone I was expecting. It measures about 8.5 inches across and about 12 inches long. It was also $51.00 instead of the $30.00 mentioned in the instructions.

I was just wondering if any one else has done the mod this way or is there an advantage to useing a smooth straight tube to the turbo.

Thank's for any comments.

Jeff

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done the mod and had no problem with it at all. I think the price difference is because of how long the mod has been around. I actually took and drilled ahole in the exhaust pipe and installed the sensor back inline.

To answer you question yes it is better to have a straight pipe to the turbo that will help to cool the air alittle bit more. A stage II intake will do alot also. Next on the list.

Fill out your sig so we can see what kind of truck you have. You may also want to look into the DIY CCV mod. Just something else you can do.

Last edited:

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did mine for like 20 bucks,all i had to buy was a filter and a pvc pipe adapter type piece.check the pic out.

jeffnzoya

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been reading about the ccv mod but have not found the proceedures. What I have read sounds difficult, What are the proceedures for the mod.

I would really like to do this so I can keep my engine clean. I have allway's wondered why it stayed so dirty. I would just lay the B52 to it and spray it off every now and then. I gues that would be a little tricky now with the new paper filter.

I looked at some pictures the other day on this site and there was a red F250 with the intercooler tubes painted aluminum and it really looked good.

And about this Zoodad mod. I left my battery cover on which I guess will help a little with air flow from the factory duct work. Is this mod a hole cut in front of the factory duct work to allow more air to flow to the filter or do you do away with the factory duct work and the battery cover.

See ya

Jeff.

Last edited:

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The filters can be found online for much less $$.
Fleetfilter.com has them for $27.33.

jeffnzoya

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am gone to get the stuff.

Thank you.

Oh, by the way, Why clear hose?

Jeff.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I am gone to get the stuff.

Thank you.

Oh, by the way, Why clear hose?

Jeff.
So you can observe for any liquid pooling when in that case you have to alter the slope to the exit of the tubing so the liquid will drain off.

SCDave

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Great instructions from Tbar. One question. Will this cause oil to drip on the driveway from the tube?

Thanks, David

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with fgtex on filter prices! I got in a hurry for mine and got one locally.. alot more expensive. Just ordered one from fleet for like $30 something with shipping! Had a little accident with some of the metal clips that I reinstalled that held the old filter box in(almost poked a hole in the filter and dont wanna take any chances) I just made a catch canister for my CCV mod this past weekend(fumes where getting on my nerves in the drivethurs) I'm gonna do some more experimenting this weekend with it, but to get to the point I had it vented to the air for probably a couple months and when I was fooling with the hose it finally dripped a bit. I also hadnt turned my doghouse around and looped it(the clear hose) over the brake master cylinder either. Doing that should take care of any oil dripping because it will let any thats in the line run back to the valve cover!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14