DIY Propane opinion

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YouTube - Cheap Homemade Propane Injection System

What are some of your opinions on this set-up and his advice? Anyone tried it? I heard of some guys running propane unloaded running 65+ mph on the interstate to save mpg...is it safe run that speed with no load?

I read on the vids comments about adding a manifold blow off in case a bad detonation??...anyone got any info on that? Also, doing a HOBB switch :)dunno) to monitor the manifold pressure to make sure the truck is under a load before the propane can be injected:confused:

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your offically a youtuber:lmao

i saw that too, but i havent got a clue good luck:sweet

:watchout.....what does it take for one to be a youtuber? I'm more of a googler (think it was you I helped with the electric fan off a integra using google), thats how I found the vid. So if I'm a googler/youtuber what are you?

Hell no, I'm not doing it till I've done some (let me re-phrase that...A LOT) research on this and find someone that has done it and talked to them. I know the superchips digital injection can tie into the tps and tachometer...and that was my think of the manifold pressure deal, to make sure the engine is under a load. My current project is my own zoo-dad mod. I've never seen it donw the way I'm doing it, but I like it:sly Post pics later

I've been meaning to talk to you...I've actually sent you a pm. Didn't you put the ATS torque converter in your truck?

Messing with the zoodad....Its almsot halfway done. I just did one to see how it worked and I like it. I think theres not enough flow coming through so I'm going to do the other one tomorrow. I drimmiled the side so I could get it in next to the radiator. Debating on to put a filter material around it that I bought from Ace. At 45, my "MPG Display" was saying 25mpg. I drove 45 from Jackson, MS to Starkville, MS on the natchez trace and the best I seen was 21.8mpg....not a bad increase. I drove out to town with speed limits ranging from 45 to 60 with plenty of redlights and got 19.2mpg in that 36mi run.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
here's my opinion of piggy-back propane systems...

you save money on one fuel, but burn it up on another fuel..

do you really come out money ahead?
propane is in the high $3.somethings a gallon right now...

wpfd571

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also think anything you gain in mpg would be offset buy the cost of the propane, I think if your doing it to save money its gonna take a long time to get your investment back and break even

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured it up before from other people's numbers and they didn't come out ahead...and I'm fine with that. I think it would be nice to have to have extra pulling power and still lower your egt's. Do ya'll have an opinion or advice about the set-up itself?

I've seen that video too JL, but because of their lack of english I really didn't get an understanding of what they was doing.

Last edited:

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A kid i know blew up his motor in his 97 using propane, however idk how he had it set up

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58