do 4wd fr axels spin in 2wd?

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When cruising around with the hubs unlocked and the transfer case in 2wd.
DO the front axels and U joints rotate? I thought they did not move when in 2wd on these fords?

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, they should not turn. If you have auto hubs, they might not be releasing. I put up with this for several years till I finally decided to get Warn hubs.

Make sure every thing is unlocked and crawl under there near the u joint, twist it back and forth a few time should loosen it up.

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 I had an auto hub hang up on my last winter. Stayed locked even though I turned the switch to 2wd. They can be taken apart and regreased, just do it sparingly. Heard someone on here once say to use ATF to lube them. Sounds like a good idea to me.

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thx
I have been chasing a growling noise, Someone told me it could be the front axle. I said no cause its not moving and in 2wd. If it was spinning like a dodge or chevy do all the time then front axle bearings or front diff noise would be possible. I dont think it can be my issue in 2wd if nothing is spinning. I checked tonite. I zip tied the u joint to the axle, temporarily) I made sure ,first that the wheels were turning and nothing else. I drove the truck on the highway and the ties did not break. If i put it in 4wd it would of easily snapped them. Just veryfing.

commanderjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the growling is coming from the front wheel area, you probably have a hub bearing going out. I just replaced mine for the second time at 300k.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58