Do I have an issue?!!?

6LMonster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning I was driving in to work and the truck was acting like it has a jake brake?!? Everytime I would let off the pedal it would act like and sound like I have a jake brake. This would happen between 60 mph and 50 mph. It was about 24 degrees this morning and the truck was plugged in for 3 hrs before I started it (timer). It finally stopped doing it about 3/4 of the way to work (20 miles). The only mods I have are a Tymar Intake and a 4" MBRP Exhaust. This is the first time this has happened.

Maybe the EBPV was sticking?!?!

Oh, this is on my '96 F-250.

Last edited:

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning I was driving in to work and the truck was acting like it has a jake brake?!? Everytime I would let off the pedal it would act like and sound like I have a jake brake.

Maybe the EBPV was sticking?!?!

that would be my guess also.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Sounds like a classic EBPV event.

1. Clean the EBPV sensor tube.
    • Located on the bottom/front right exhaust manifold and runs towards the front of the engine up to the back pressure sensor which is mounted near the HPOP.
  2. Make sure the EBPV sensor inlet connection isnt sooted shut.
    • Located front topside of engine near HPOP, its a simple pressure switch but the inlet can get clogged.
  3. Make sure the solenoid connection right at the turbo is tight and secure.
    • You/ll have to take the turbo inlet tube off to see this guy, also simply unplugging this connection should defeat the function of the solenoid all together.
  4. If you want, you can unhook the linkage and wire the flapper open.
    • This works well but can cause an oil leak around the actuator arm where it exits the turbo pedistal.
  5. Last resort would be to gut the flapper out of the turbo outlet.
    • You'll never have to worry about it doing this again but the downside is now its gone, and getting it back is as much of a PITA as getting rid of it.
    • This is the route I eventually chose withy my truck after I had done all the steps above and I was happy with the outcome.

DA-HEAT

The First Stroker
Reaction score
My trucks EBPV was really working its self to death a few weeks ago when it was in the teens here. I don't drive it all the time in the winter just here and there since I carpool to work. That thing was coming and going for about 20 miles, restricted the power greatly, not to mention killing my fuel economy. I was thinkin if it ever did it again I would just unplug it at the solenoid like you said so it would not work anymore, but if I did that would it affect my trucks operation at all, of course it would set a trouble code, but would that alter my trucks attitude or would it keep on a trucking and not be affected

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
The only thing it will affect is the operation of the EBPV itself which will cause longer warm up time on a cold start. It wont set the CEL either. If you scan the truck it will show up as a soft code but not one that illuminates the CEL.

DA-HEAT

The First Stroker
Reaction score
Thanks just my thoughts, if it gives me any more grief that is what I will do since it really doesn't get below freezing in my area but a few weeks a year anyway.

kbud14

I will never learn
Reaction score
I just cleaned my EBPV tube today and it was packed FULL. I got what i could with a small screwdriver then heated the tube, slowly, with a torch. I then blew it out with air. Worked great.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl