Do I really need a new housing the 203* thermostat?

Scar13

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Its a 2003 I doubt its rusted??

Just asking bfore I order one part when I shoudl have goten 2?

dpantazis

Reaction score
"need" is a relative term. rust is not the only issue- it's a stamped sheet metal and is not very 'durable'. figure that you will at least need a little tube of waterpump and thermostat goop and maybe a little persuading to flatten the ears if they are bent.

White Buffalo

TDP Pit crew
Reaction score
Just as dpantazis stated. It's not that it is old & rusted, it's more that the darn thing won't seat right most of the times when you go to reinstall it. Not all of the time, but many times people have reused the original housing and it tended to leak. Dieselsite sells two kinds for a replacement. One just like the OEM and a billet one.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scar13 said:

Its a 2003 I doubt its rusted??

Just asking bfore I order one part when I shoudl have goten 2?

Look at the WIKI article on thermostat replacement--I wrote it and even though my truck is a 2002, that stock housing was nasty enough I wouldn't even have thought to try and reuse it.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a new water pump (warranty) put in. The ford dealer re-used the housing for the t-stat. I got new fluid, apparently a new t-stat...and of course wasn't satisfied: I got a coolant filter and 203F t-stat.

After install of all, with no goop and careful sequential tightening, I have no leaks between the t-stat, the original housing, and the original tube. Maybe I'm just lucky, but that would be unusual if you know what I mean!;)

If I did buy a new housing, it would be the aluminum billet housing. Looks tough!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14