Do I want the Impossible?

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
Currently I tow a pop-up when I go camping and I load all the motrcycles and camping equipment in the back of the truck. I store Everything in the third bay of my 3 1/2 car garage. (standard ht. garage door)

The wife and kids are losing interest in the two wheel toys (scared) and would like 4 wheelers.

Im thinking about going back to what i used to do when I lived at home and pull two trailers. Although we had a fifth wheel and we were able to just park all the trailers in the back yard.

So what I need is a trailer that will fit in the garage and be able to tow another trailer behind it. Is there such a trailer? I asked the law about rules when towing two trailers and probably need to ask again but there is no restriction on a double ball. There is only a length restriction. :rolleyes:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
send youre kids to a riding lesson...theyll have fun & regain their confidence.
if that doesnt work id sell the bikes, video games and tv's and maybe the
camper and say there ya go...now how bored are you....

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
...I asked the law about rules when towing two trailers and probably need to ask again but there is no restriction on a double ball....

Laws vary from state to state on the subject of how many trailers can you tow.

In Michigan, you can only pull one ball hitch type trailer. But if you have a 5th wheel trailer, you can pull another ball hitch trailer behind that. It requires an endorsement on your license that is refered to as a "recreational double". It's easy to get, study a pamplet and pass a multiple choice written test and you're there.

Since laws vary state to state, keep in mind that what is ok in Colorado, may not be allowed in a neighboring state.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about putting 4wheelers in the bed and building a rack to
carry one on top of the pop up ?

Yellowsub1962

supernewbie
Reaction score
good luck finding out what you can and can't do...It took me over a year to get the information out of the DMV and CHP (I'm in CA). Here to do what you want you have to have a full blown CDL with doubles endorsement, and the first trailer HAS to be a fifth wheel...

as for your question, are you asking about an "RV type" trailer with a hitch on the back to pull a couple quads on a smaller trailer? I don't think you'll find one to fit into the garage height wise, but there are 5th wheels as small as 24ft overall length out there, but your choices are limited....

I think you'd be better off pulling a 5th wheel "equipment" trailer with the quads on it and putting your tent trailer behind that --or better yet, pull it up on it with the quad and not deal with doubles at all ;)

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I have did the double thing and I can tell you that it becomes a pain. Backing is a bit tricky so you really have to pick your route through gas stations and other places very wisely. I towed a boat behind a Travel Trailer and I also found it a bit unhandy to have to break up the set to launch the boat.

My answer was purchasing a slide in truck camper. With the camper I can tow the boat or cargo trailer and only have to deal with one trailer. My recommendation to you is to sell the pop-up and purchase a slide in camper then you can pull all the toys you want. Another option would be a toy hauler which has living quarters in the front and room for the toys in the back but it limits you more than a slide-in. I built some centering guides for my new truck camper and I can load/unload it in a matter of about 5 minutes so it is no tougher than hooking up a trailer. Just a option for you to think about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58