Dodge diesel oil pressure? (for a friend)

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My employee's wife called me today asking what she should do if the oil pressure is low on their truck(03 5.9L diesel). Her husband is offshore right now and does not want to mess up the truck while he is gone. I am thinking they need to top off the oil, but does anyone more knowledgible have a better suggestion.

Thanks in advance

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont RUN it is what they should do.

Check the level 1st and see where it is on the stick....
it may or may NOT need oil.

Even then topping up the oil may not change the pressure
if theres something else wrong.

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She drove it to the gym before talking to me, but it will be sitting for 1-1.5 hours before she is done there. I will go check it for her before she leaves. If it is not a simple top then they are going to have issues since that is there only vehicle.

If oil levels are fine, what are the possible issues?

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Oil pump, clogged oil pick up tube, bad gauge / sending unit / no power to sending unit. Lots of possibilities. Not all bad, but like Bush said you don't want to run it until you know. That little Cummins is pretty stout, to say the least. I would almost bet its the gauge or involves the gauge. Let us know how it goes.

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We checked the oil and the oil was low, so she is taking it down the street to top it off. If the pressure is still low she is going to take it to the shop.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
We checked the oil and the oil was low, so she is taking it down the street to top it off. If the pressure is still low she is going to take it to the shop.

Umm, I hate to break it to ya, but you shouldn't RUN an engine with low oil pressure for even a few seconds, let alone DRIVE it down the street... put some oil in it where it sits, or you could be sorry...

Oh, I almost forgot, dem dodges don't need no oil in dem motors they are so good :doh:

:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
I can't vouch for the truck, but I'll go to bat for that engine. :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14