Question Does anybody have Knowledge of M715’s?

Reaction score
This is a truck my wife found for sale. I have always wanted one of these in original trim. The truck is complete and runs. Even though it is not the diesel version, I am willing to settle for it. One problem I have is I do not think it has the original engine. I have done some research and the original gas straight six is easily recognizable. But, I want to get verification first. I have seen these in much worse shape going for much more than the $2000 asking price. We are of course trying to work him down lower because of the very poor luck we have experienced lately. But I do not want to let this truck slip away either. Well, shoot me what information you all can. And please confirm or correct my assumption of that being the wrong engine.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
hard to tell about the engine without checking the numbers
someone more familiar with Kaiser/Frazier could help you

there's gotta be a BB/forum for these...

one thing you are going to want to do is replace those suicide wheels before you die screwing with them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I did not even notice the rims were split ring. Yeah, that could be an issue.

What do you mean by BB?

I was hoping to avoid joining another forum, but if that is what it takes I may as well. I do not want to be too quick to jump on the first one we find.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the late 70s, in the Military, I was assigned a M715, new. Had it for 4 years and tryed to get it when it reached it's "Shelf/Use Life".. so to speak.

Did some research also.... They came with SEVERAL different engines, depending on build date, Milspec and contract period.

Unless someone has removed it.. On the right hand, lower side of the dash area, there should be a brass Data Plate with all the info you would need about it. Then (?) if you know, or can find someone who is in the Military equipment restoration Hobby... they would know how to go about getting info/data for you.

Mine had an industrial type FORD 6 in it. BAD motor... valve train and crank bearing issues.

Hope this helps

What JLD sez about them wheels too.. Fer Shur.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that looks like the jeep j10-j20's civilian truck. ???

Only the hood, grill shell, fender and door sheet metal.. the rest of it, Frame, Suspension and Drive train.. was built like a TANK Dennis. A Buick V8 of the mid to late 70's was said to be Drop in. My intent was to restore it [mine] back to issue condition, as far as paint and body, but go with the V8.

Problem was: You had to bid on a "Lot" set up. My M715 was in a "Lot" of 3 of them.. 1 being Pure JUNK (one burned, 1 T-bone totaled) plus about 2000 lbs of non-associated scrap metal crapola.

At the time, I didn't have a place to work on it.. living in Military housing... Had to withdraw my bid.

Did'nt want just ANY M715.. I wanted THAT one ;). Me'n that Ole'boy went alot'a places'n did alot'a things.

'Sides the engine ? That thing was indestructible.

Wish I had it today.

Reaction score
That is one of the reason I want one. I really wanted one with that tornado 230. The rounded valve cover is dead give away for that engine. I do not know what is in the one I am considering.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
That is one of the reason I want one. I really wanted one with that tornado 230. The rounded valve cover is dead give away for that engine. I do not know what is in the one I am considering.

having not worked on one in nearly 20 years, it's hard to remember, but I think that's a Chevy 250

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14