Does anyone make a living with their truck?

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do any of you fellas make a living driving your Super Duty? I have heard of a few people around town doing it, but I have not been able to talk to them about what all is involved. Is it worth it compared to a desk job? I can only take so much fluorescent lighting in one day. Always looking for something different to do.

fgtex

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fgtex said:
Do any of you fellas make a living driving your Super Duty? I have heard of a few people around town doing it, but I have not been able to talk to them about what all is involved. Is it worth it compared to a desk job? I can only take so much fluorescent lighting in one day. Always looking for something different to do.

fgtex
Amen, I hear you. I'd like to use mine to make a few $$ on weekends. With all the RV dealers in the NE Texas area, looks like we could pull some trailers locally.

Reaction score
It can be fun - but I don't think I'd like to do it all the time. I have taken a few jobs to deliver vehicles and such on the weekends - far and between though. In December I hauled a Jeep from Manassa here up to Springfield MA. Did it in one long day. I only jobs I can get done in one day - and find them by word of mouth. Don't forget though about insurance - I already have extra coverage for whatever I tow.

Other than that I live out of my truck during the week anyway. It's my second office and I have everything in there that I need - laptop, high speed internet, scanner, printer, camera, etc etc.

Ron

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For years, like Ron....I've been doing hauling on the side for private individuals, the large RV dealership I've done business with over the years; and, seasonal boat hauling to and from local winter storage sites. I haven't put my Super Duty to work yet besides hauling off road trail rigs around, and getting it ready to pull my 31' 5-er this summer. However, I've been in touch with several nationwide RV transport companies and am seriously considering it.

I'm interested to the point where I'm shark-attack serious about scrapping a career I'm scheduled to retire from in five more years. It was thoughts about part time FEMA hauling that motivated me to research trailer pulling and hot-shotting; previously, I was unaware that I could generate as much or more revenue with my Super Duty as your average OTR O/O can with a $200K Peterbuilt.

I'm currently crunching the numbers.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
s d mills said:
I was unaware that I could generate as much or more revenue with my Super Duty as your average OTR O/O can with a $200K Peterbuilt.
I would like to see that truck. I have seen a $147,000 Peterbilt and it was loaded to the hilt. What could a guy add to make it cost $200,000?

You are correct with the revenue. My father-in-law has a Dodge dually and a big truck. He nets as much or more when he runs the Dodge as when he runs the big truck with a 48' step-deck. When you factor in all the expenses with both and the income there is just more left with the little truck. Problem is getting loads that pay enough weather the truck is big or small. He has both and doesn't leave home with either one unless it pays good. Too many guys out there that will "back-haul" both directions..

By the way if he can make big bucks with a Dodge imagine what you could do with a Ford..:roflmao

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
rgdillon said:
It's my second office and I have everything in there that I need - laptop, high speed internet, scanner, printer, camera, etc etc.

Ron

Gee, Ron, install a small fridge and bathroom and you could just sell the house! :roflmao You've got a nice set up in that truck!

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
fgtex said:

fgtex

Does it count if you're making a living to drive your truck?? Seems to be the case as of late. :)

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
I would like to see that truck. I have seen a $147,000 Peterbilt and it was loaded to the hilt. What could a guy add to make it cost $200,000?

Well, there's a guy down the highway from me who has $220K in his largcar and one of Steve Kinser's O/O's has between $250K and $300K in his. I'll see if I can snap some flicks in the next day or so. One of Steve's has a frikken jacuzzi.:D

maniac

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was unaware that I could generate as much or more revenue with my Super Duty as your average OTR O/O can

I am an unaware of this too, and I've been in OTR for 30 years.

Small trucks can earn some big money BUT its few and far between, remember I can put ANYTHING on mine you can't with a small truck, there are areas with ANY truck that are hard to load out of.

Do a LOT of research on this, you might be surprised, a lot of "hot shots" are now class 7 trucks, small Freightliners and F-700 Fords and such.

Reliability comes into play here also, my KW has 600,000 miles on it and will easily go a million, will any of these pickup trucks? Yes the get a little better fule mileage, but there are higher maintenance costs.

That is another reason the hotshots are going to class 7's

Check it out VERY carefully before you leap, another tip, how to tell if a trucking recruiter is lying.........his lips are moving.

Also consider this if it IS that much more lucrative, how come I don't see that many? With the exception of Indiana? And remember don't judge anything by the FEMA rates, these are short term rates and don't apply when the deep pockets of the government go away.

And as far as 300K in one of these large cars, not quite, anybody ever see Reliable Carriers out of Michigan? MY buddy works there and his 06 Pete with 120" double eagle sleeper was $186,000 out the door, and it has EVERYTHING in it.

Check out this site
http://www.hotshothauling.com/

Last edited:

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
s d mills said:
I'm interested to the point where I'm shark-attack serious about scrapping a career I'm scheduled to retire from in five more years.

Sounds pretty risky to me, especially with retirement five years off. Double and triple check the numbers if they look good!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14