Does this sound right?

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Before in tank mod> Most I ever got in my 29 gallon tank was 27 gallons. I usually drive until that annoying amber low fuel light comes on.

After in tank mod> I have put 31.9 gallons in my tank while on a road trip and travelled 560 miles before the low fuel light came on again.

Mobeydick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've put 42.8 gallons in my 38 gallon tank that being said I coasted up to the pump cuz it had ran out. Five more feet and I would have had to push it!! That was on my 01!!

On 05/06/07s Ford decided to make it so you couldn't run out of fuel. Yours doesn't buck or hesitate cuz it's a 04!!

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On 05/06/07s Ford decided to make it so you couldn't run out of fuel. Yours doesn't buck or hesitate cuz it's a 04!!

huh ? how did they make it so you couldnt run out of fuel on
05-07 model year trucks ?

Mobeydick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the Fuel level gets down to about 13 gallons left in the tank and the low fuel warning comes on at 25 Miles to Empty (That is the same time I might add) the truck starts bucking and jerking to the point it is not drivable!! If you are willing to put up with 200 miles of the computer shutting down the truck every 10 seconds I guess you could run it out but I'm not able to put up with it that long.

My 06 gets on average 15.5 MPG, A 38 gallon tank should get me (on 36 gallons) 558 miles before I would need to fill up. It never would even come close to that. Generally all I could get before the truck would go into low fuel mode was about 435 miles!! At 15.5 MPG that is 28.06 gallons. That means there was always 14.75 gallons left in the tank when the Low Fuel Warning light would come on!!

My 01 has the same 38 gallon tank and it gets 13.5 MPG and I routinely go 550 miles on a tank with plenty to spare. Like today, I filled the 01 up with 542 miles on the trip meter and it took 40.148 gallons. 2.651 gallons left that’s 35 more miles I could have traveled if I chose to walk at the end of the journey.

I had my Dealer fix that on my 06!! Now it will run out of fuel and the low warning light will not come on. I’ve put 40 gallons in it now too.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
19.3 mpg going south on interstate 5

Going up to Dallas Oregon I got 18.2 mpg.. I just fueled up tonight, because gas and diesel prices are climbing through the roof. We got 19.3 coming back to Redding. Going north from Redding to Oregon, it is more up hill than coming back from Oregon to Redding.
BTW regular gas here in Redding just went over $3.00. One station has it at $3.159 per gallon of regular. Diesel was $2.899 tonight.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Before in tank mod> Most I ever got in my 29 gallon tank was 27 gallons. I usually drive until that annoying amber low fuel light comes on.

After in tank mod> I have put 31.9 gallons in my tank while on a road trip and travelled 560 miles before the low fuel light came on again.

Oh yeah that was 940 miles in 13.25 hours I'd say that was a good average with two stops, and a good mileage considering 80+ crusing speeds.

bigbrother44

PSD or bust!
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... I guess I will just let it run down until the fuel light comes on, and see how much it takes.. Problem is, I always try to keep the tank full, to reduce the possibility of condensation in the tank. So when on a long trip, it would have to be where I can get fuel in a hurry if it gets critical. I am looking into buying a aluminum 100 gallon/tool box combo, to put into the bed for long trips, but have not found one locally that I can see. All the stores say they will have to order one, and I like to see and touch the items that I purchase. The best price so far is around $1,000. I have a local tank company that will build me a steel tank for around $600. , but I would worry about rust getting into the fuel later on.

Maxtor, there's a company in Chico by the airport called Transfer Flow. It's what they do. Check their website at http://www.transferflow.com/ They should be able to tell you how to see their stuff.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
you guys are killing me 17 -21 mpg, I should be so lucky :roflmao :roflmao

any way max, if i run mine to less than 50 miles to empty
she gets noisy every now and then, but never shut off

and i have put in with the gauge at empty , purt near 35 gallons.

still need to harpoon, and now thats its warming up i may do it soon.

but as you can see a long bed is a 38 gallon tank, JUST the tank, add in the long filler hose and it creeps to close to 40 something, long trips she gets topped off to the neck with clear fuel, which gives me about 150-175 miles before it drops off the full mark... then it rockets to 1/2 and hangs out a bit, at 1/4 it hovers again then dips to 1/8 or so , low fuel light at 80 to empty..
dont know if it helps...

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm lucky if I can break 13.5 going downhill with a tail wind... somethin' ain't right...

Who else other than blackstone do you trust for oil analysis?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58