doing ball joints

tubzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
believe it or not, i have never done ball joints on anything.
so is their a right up or anytricks i should know before hand? what else is their that can be changed when i have it apart? sorry for all the questions but if i can build 2 of these trucks and keep them running. i think i can do ball joints. just neve have

Last edited:

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
its not hard but is or can be a PITA depends on if you live where they salt and how much rust is in there.if 4wd do the axle ujoints as well cuz you will be removing them.im gonna assume youve done brakes and rotors atleast??

if so take all that apart.now you have the spindle with the threads on it.around the base there are 6 nuts.remove them.go to autozone or advance and buyrent a slide hammer and spindle remover tool.it srews onto where the rotor nuts screw on.now just use the slide hammer and keep hammering till it pops off.you can do it with a BFH but be very carefyul that you dont hit whee the beaings ride or on the theads and go arond in a circle while hitting it.

now pull the axle out.nows a great time to replace the ujoint as its out and its one less thing you gotta worry about later on!!

remove the tie rod end.im sure you know how to do that as well.if not just remove the cotter pin without destroying it if possible.remove the nut and whack the knuckle with a hammer.may take a few hit but itll pop out.

now remove both ball joint nuts.and gie the nuckle a few good whaks with a BFH till it falls off or comes loose.have a shop press the ball joint out and in,its easier and quicker or rent the ball joint press from autozone.remove the lower first i believe.you may need some heat.if you have an impact gun with a full 160PSI all the time even better.once the bottom is out do the same for the top.now pop the new top one in and put the new bottom one in and reassemble everything.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i would have new dust shields ready to go in because whenever i have done ball joints the dust shields come off in pieces.

also you will want new wheel seals, axle needle bearings (they go inside the spindle), and doing the ujoints is a good idea if they have any play at all.

tubzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks,yes i have done brakes and rotors ,swap out her auto lockers for warns,i just never been passed the spindles. their is alway a first time and i'm jumping in with both feet. i think i will do her truck first then if i screw it up i know to have mine done LOL

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I wrote an article on Ball Joints last year. The article is in the SDD Tehcnical Articles WIKI section listed here: TikiWiki
It is the top article. Have fun and this is an all day job with help.

Dave :)

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
i would have new dust shields ready to go in because whenever i have done ball joints the dust shields come off in pieces.

also you will want new wheel seals, axle needle bearings (they go inside the spindle), and doing the ujoints is a good idea if they have any play at all.

good idea.ive never done the needle bearings though,never had a problem with them.but the ujoints always get replaced,i dont care if they are still good or not.its apart,they are stareing at me,they get replaced.

tubzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good idea.ive never done the needle bearings though,never had a problem with them.but the ujoints always get replaced,i dont care if they are still good or not.its apart,they are stareing at me,they get replaced.

thats the only way to go do it,if i have to dig at it to fix it i will replace what is their that would go bad on down the road

Clyde99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Be sure to pack the spindle bearings with wheel bearing grease before reassembly ! Also spend for the greasable ball joints and axle joints. Sometimes there is enough clearance to leave the zerts in the axle joints after assembly, sometimes not, if not grease them with the gun then remove the zert and save then install the plugs provided with the axle joints.

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Terry if you want some help I can come down and give you a hand no prob. I have done a few sets for sure. Just let me know.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58