Doing Some Baseline Maintenance

Discussion in '6.0L PowerStroke Engine & Drivetrain' started by troutwest66, May 21, 2016.

1. troutwest66

troutwest66 6.0- The Dark Side!

Changed out the fuel filters today. Ordered Motor Craft filters on Amazon along with a Lisle socket and had to get a new oil filter cap since whoever changed it last must have used the Wix all in one. Draining the bottom fuel filter took forever. I finally put the plug back in after almost 2 quarts drained out. I assume that's normal? Changed the filters, ran the key cycle six times and it fired right up so I must have got it right!:D The old fuel filters were OEM so that was good. Getting oil this week to change it so all will be OEM filters. I've decided to go with Delo 5W-30LE Synthetic. I checked my local Wally World and it was about $17 a gallon. I'm at 150015 miles so remembering my intervals will be easy. I will have officially changed all at 150000 miles. 5K for oil and 10K for fuel filters here on out. Researched a ton here and elsewhere so I should be good to go! Thanks for all the information here and the responses. Loving this truck more each day.

2. troutwest66

Oil done today. I was wrong on the oil numbers. It's 5W-40 Delo 400 LE Synthetic. Could have sworn it was 5W-30. Done now. Oil was $17.96 a gallon at Wal-Mart. Didn't feel too bad about that.

3. WD40

WD40 Full Access Member

Sounds like your on the right track.
    Doug

4. DaveBen

DaveBen SDD Senior Member

I switched to 5W 40 six months after I got my truck. It started to surge on a repeated cycle and I tryed the lighter oil and it cured the problem. Many others have switched to 5W 40. ;tu

Dave

5. troutwest66

So are you using the 5W-30 now or the 5W-40? I wasn't sure which one caused the surging. The 40 could cause a problem? I guess Delo has both viscosities. I haven't noticed any changes yet but I'm heading up the river to fly fish Saturday so some highway time should show any problems.

6. DaveBen

Sorry, 15W 40 was causing the surging, so I switched to 5W 40 and no more surging.

Dave

7. troutwest66

Awesome. I was almost worried I used the wrong oil.:( I know there is a 5W-30 as well as 5W-40 synthetic. Summer/winter do you think there will be a difference between the two grades?

8. DaveBen

Yes there is a slight difference, with the 5W 40 offering a bit more protection in the summer. 40 weight oil is thicker than 30 weight oil. Look at www.bobistheoilguy.com for more on all of this.

Dave

BIG JOE likes this.
  9. troutwest66

We're at I-90 east of Spokane, Washington so we get cold in the winter but not Minnesota cold. 20s-30s probably the average lower temps but we can get below zero on occasion. Quite often in the teens for overnight lows. In my IDI I ran Delo 15W-40 conventional oil and never had an issue. She bucked a bit when really cold but always started. I'm hoping what I just used will work year round.

10. DaveBen

Yes it will. I use it year round and my climate is not too far from your temps. ;tu

Dave

troutwest66 likes this.