Door seal mo

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to an explanation of how to do the door seal mod?Thanks.
Clint

On Edit: Just notice the Title is wrong, but i'm sure most of you know this. it's supposed to say mod.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to an explanation of how to do the door seal mod?Thanks.
Clint

I think there was a WIKI/DIY on it but.. The basics ? (what I did)

Get 2 25' rolls of Poly/Vinyl tubing (Home Depot etc.) (some use Cording or Backer rod) that will fit (*5/16ths IIRC) in the largest door seal channel (hole)... Remove the door seals.. lube the tubing up with soapy water.. run a Fish Tape, or a long wire, thru the channel.. pull the tubing back thru.. plus 2" inside.. cut the tubing off at plus 2" outside.. put the seal back on the door jamb.. stuff the outside plus 2", inside the channel. Done Deal.

The doors will be a bit Tight to close.. at first.. but the tubing will "take the shape" after a bit of use.

Joe

On Edit ? A Helper Helps Too.

*Also ? I've found that Ford used some different door seal styles, from Job# to Job#, Year to Year.. so take a measurement of the channel diameter.. Buy the ploy/vinyl tubing size.. accordingly ?

Last edited:

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was gonna say it but Big Joe edited. GET A HELPER. Trust us on this. HAHA

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of soap and an extra set of hands did mine by myself in the front yard last sunday in about 35-40 minutes removal and re-install. All is well trying to get used to having to slam the door shut to get the total seal. Very well improved no more ratle or road noise on the freeway. Good luck with it bubba!

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
i also read that you could use foam tubing. Anyone know where to get something that will work for a decent price?

JRJ04

Reaction score
I would stay away from the foam tubing. It will work at first, but I've heard it collapes over time. On top of that...I would not think that would be fun trying to get that fed through.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
I would stay away from the foam tubing. It will work at first, but I've heard it collapes over time. On top of that...I would not think that would be fun trying to get that fed through.

that makes sense. I'll go to home depot today to check the price on the rolls of vinyl tubing.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

**Very true

that makes sense. I'll go to home depot today to check the price on the rolls of vinyl tubing.

Hints ?

Do ONE seal, at a time.

Mark the body/jam, where to door seal seam meets.. before you take it off. Start from there, when you put it back on.

Pour or pump the soapy water into the whole door seal length. (I use a pump~sprayer)

Work on a floor, or flat surface... the length of the door seal.

Trim the end of the vinyl tubing, into a Point, hook the wire to it, trim any "hooks" off and tape it... Less likely to snag, as you pull/work the tubing thru.

Have one helper sloowly pull.. while you kinda "milk" the door seal as the tubing moves along... as another kinda keeps the seal as strait as possible.

Hang the whole thing up.. for a minute or 5.. to let it drain some*.

Works for Me :dunno

Joe

* yul proly have a drip or 7, after you re-install'm.. but it'll soon dry up.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
I think there was a WIKI/DIY on it but.. The basics ? (what I did)

Get 2 25' rolls of Poly/Vinyl tubing (Home Depot etc.) (some use Cording or Backer rod) that will fit (*5/16ths IIRC) in the largest door seal channel (hole)... Remove the door seals.. lube the tubing up with soapy water.. run a Fish Tape, or a long wire, thru the channel.. pull the tubing back thru.. plus 2" inside.. cut the tubing off at plus 2" outside.. put the seal back on the door jamb.. stuff the outside plus 2", inside the channel. Done Deal.

The doors will be a bit Tight to close.. at first.. but the tubing will "take the shape" after a bit of use.

Joe

On Edit ? A Helper Helps Too.

*Also ? I've found that Ford used some different door seal styles, from Job# to Job#, Year to Year.. so take a measurement of the channel diameter.. Buy the ploy/vinyl tubing size.. accordingly ?

Well big joe you were right about the different sizes for different year models. I went ahead and bought 1/4" vinyl tubing($3.50 at lowes for 20ft). Its way to small. I might have to go with 3/8 or 7/16. Whatever works so i dont have to slam the door.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58