Door seal, Wind & Road noise Fix.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super Dutys are all known for leaky door weather strips, makeing for alot of unwanted noise, at speed. Several ways of doing this Fix, but here is what I did:

Bought 2, 20' rolls ov 3/8" vinyl tubing (Home Depot).

Along the bottom of the door sill, under the door sill plate you'll see the seam where the stripping joins together. (I Marked that location, for re-install.) "Popped" the door sill plate up. Removed the stripping from the truck.

I then cut a 2" slit on one end of the vinyl tubeing, formed it into a point, melted the tip to hold that shape.

Ran a "Fish Tape" all the way through the round void of the weather stripping, twist drilled a small hole in the "point" of of the tubeing and hooked it to the Fish Tape with thin wire, bent the ends of the wire >back<, so they would'nt snag as I puuled the tape back through the stripping.

Mixed a REAL soapy solution of dish-soap (Dawn) & water, Slathered that on the tubeing while pulling the tubeing back through the stripping void. ( I did this by myself... 2 folks would be better.... One to feed the tubeing, one to pull the fish tape )

When I got the tubeing through to the end, I cut the tubeing off at the other end. Pulled about 3 or 4" on through.

Re-installed the stripping on the truck, starting at the mark on the door sill. Tucked the 3 or 4" into the other end. (a no gap seal)

Sure worked for me. I'v been able to turn my volume down 4 numbers. Even my Mother-inlaws Daughter (wife) noticed the Difference..... without me sayn anything.

Thought I'd pass it on.

:)

Oct 04, 05 edit: On an X-Cab you can use whats left of the tubeing to fill the voids in the rear door weather seals. Ford has installed a piece of silicone tubeing at the door latch area so, just insert a piece from the top, and trim it off. Same from the bottom.

Last edited:

Puddle Pirate

Will Pillage For Diesel
Reaction score
BIG JOE said:
Super Dutys are all known for leaky door weather strips, makeing for alot of unwanted noise, at speed. Several ways of doing this Fix, but here is what I did:

Bought 2, 20' rolls ov 3/8" vinyl tubing (Home Depot).

Along the bottom of the door sill, under the door sill plate you'll see the seam where the stripping joins together. (I Marked that location, for re-install.) "Popped" the door sill plate up. Removed the stripping from the truck.

I then cut a 2" slit on one end of the vinyl tubeing, formed it into a point, melted the tip to hold that shape.

Ran a "Fish Tape" all the way through the round void of the weather stripping, twist drilled a small hole in the "point" of of the tubeing and hooked it to the Fish Tape with thin wire, bent the ends of the wire >back<, so they would'nt snag as I puuled the tape back through the stripping.

Mixed a REAL soapy solution of dish-soap (Dawn) & water, Slathered that on the tubeing while pulling the tubeing back through the stripping void. ( I did this by myself... 2 folks would be better.... One to feed the tubeing, one to pull the fish tape )

When I got the tubeing through to the end, I cut the tubeing off at the other end. Pulled about 3 or 4" on through.

Re-installed the stripping on the truck, starting at the mark on the door sill. Tucked the 3 or 4" into the other end. (a no gap seal)

Sure worked for me. I'v been able to turn my volume down 4 numbers. Even my Mother-inlaws Daughter (wife) noticed the Difference..... without me sayn anything.

Thought I'd pass it on.

:)

Joe!

Looks like a great idea. I have not had the problem, but, if I do, I am glad I already know of the Fix! Thanks

MudHog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to try this on my truck, but haven't got to it.

Like the "Mother-Inlaws Daughter" classification.

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
Just do it. It's so cheap and easy you can't go wrong. With the soapy water they go though with very little resistance. Three of mine went though just by sliding them in from one side. I had a little trouble on the last one, I think because I got ****y and didn't get it soaped up good. Cost $10.00

MudHog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I did this to mine today.

Hopeing it solves my squeaky rear doors. I did just the two back doors on mine.

I used straight DAWN instead of mixing it with water. Ran a piece or wire all the way through to the opposite end. On the tube I cut a small hole about 4" from the end and fed the wire through the hole from inside out. Then bent a hook and let it hook on the tube. Taped it so it wouldn't snag and also taped the opening end. Pulled it though and cut it just short of the ends of the stripping.

Haven't made a test drive yet as I'm stuck to the tV watching the astros vs braves game that's in the top of the 16th and tied at 6.

P.S. I bought (2) 20' precut rolls of clear 1/4" OD tubing from Lowe's. I had about 2' left over per roll per door, so the 20' precut worked out perfect.

Last edited:

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I just inspected the weatherstripping on my OBS and installation for me seems way easier than what you SD owners have to go through. I believe that Dawn is all I'll need (no wire needed to pull it through). I too am sick and tired of wind noises in my cab. -mad

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
hheynow said:
I just inspected the weatherstripping on my OBS and installation for me seems way easier than what you SD owners have to go through. I believe that Dawn is all I'll need (no wire needed to pull it through). I too am sick and tired of wind noises in my cab. -mad

I don't know But all I hear in my cab is that AFE stage II :dunno

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
MudHog said:
Like the "Mother-Inlaws Daughter" classification.

Yeah, the wife's sister can be fun sometimes, but don't you think that is playing with fire??? :roflmao