Down pipe

roscoe69

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello all, new to the site; I just purchased a 97 F-350 from the original owner with only 43,000 original miles. Question what method do you guys use to gain clearance for the aftermarket downpipe? the truck looks brand new underneath and I have reservations about butchering it up. It is all stock, still has cat and muffler.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
:welcome2 roscoe69. Tell us a bit more about your truck, like what motor and what modifications. Are you talking about a stock down pipe? Is it hitting the firewall?

Dave :)

roscoe69

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks, It's a 97 7.3 4x2 dually all stock ; no mods at all . I was thinking of installing the aftermarket downpipe for more flow, but I have seen some of the creative mangling of the firewall area to make it fit . I was just wondering if anyone had devised a cleaner method of getting the clearance for the pipe.

Thanks,
Ross

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really. I cut slots in the pinch weld (being careful not to cut too far) and then used a port-a-power to bend it over for the necessary clearance. Cheers!

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Dont know much about the OBS trucks but im pretty sure you will have to cut the old downpipe out with a sawsall. Didnt think you had to bend up the firewall to make a bigger pipe fit. Maybe trim a weld seam for extra clearance?

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello roscoe and Welcome to SSD.com. I have never had a obs truck but I did help a friend many
years ago put the pipe in his truck and we did bend the fire wall just a little to get it to fit. I think
we used a 2 in pipe to get the bend we needed.
How on earth did you find a truck with no more miles than that on it? Wow. that's like 2900 miles a year or less.
Doug

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Small chance you can make it fit by sliding the engine all the way forward in the motor mount but even then the pinch weld usually needs bent a little. Just a little work with a sawzall, prybar and a chunk of wood is all it takes.

jspd234

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
did a dp on my 97. its a super tight fit but with patience and determination you can make it fit with some massaging of the firewall and proper cutting of the pinchweld. my tools were a prybar, small sledge hammer, 2"x4", sawsall and patience. goodluck!!!!

roscoe69

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply fella's!! I think I'm going to try to do the exhaust today, (in between rain events) Doug, I purchased the truck from a local guy that bought it new in 97' I got it by word of mouth because he didn't want to put it out on the side of the road in fear of it being messed with. Kinda strange to have a bench seat with a supercab though!

Ross

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58