DP tuner chip ???'s

Big Stu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, the previous owner of my truck had a banks big hoss chip installed but told me when I bought the truck that it never really made any difference. I really didn't think too much of it but today I went down and took the ecm out and uninstalled the chip, low and behold I think I know why it didn't work: the contacts on the ecm were down to the bare copper, it that a really bad thing I am dealing with here? I was told that I would have to get a new computer if I ever wanted a chip to function in my ecm, does that sound correct? I am really wanting to get a dp chip, not really sure what setting to have installed though, my natural reaction is to go for all the high hp setting stuff, but what might you guys recommend? I have an upgraded turbo, intercooler, exhaust, intake, gauges, the usual suspects. I would really appreciate some insight from you that have the wildman programs set up and how you like them. This is a truck that i drive occasionally but mostly on the weekends since it has 14" of lift and 22.5 alcoas on it, more of a show truck then a daily driver. I forgot to add that I have a granatelli big g module in it now that I would probably take out if I could run a chip like I really want.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not get a chip or prom that is adjustable? At least that way you can pick and choose.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
First off, please fillout your signature telling us what truck you have. It helps knowing what we're dealing with.

Begining with the 99.5 7.3 truck, an improved PCM was installed in the trucks at the factory. The date marking a 99.5 was something like 12/08/1998 and later. If you have an "early 99" 7.3, you will probably oughta upgrade to the later 99.5 PCM. DP-Tuner can provide you with a 99.5 PCM and put a performance tune on it for you. His Econo 80hp program has brought huge smiles to many faces including mine.

If you are going to install a chip, the contacts on the PCM board need to be cleaned first. Use a green scrubby pad to clean the contacts. Don't just clean the rubbery stuff off, but also the silvery, gray stuff also. When the contacts are clean, they will be of a shiney, copper color.

As far as Banks vs DP-Tuner is concerned, the Banks is little more than a paperweight in comparison. I've been there, I had a entire Banks package for a while until I got fed up with it's lack of "go-power". After reading a lot of good about Jody of DP-Tuner and decided to give him a call. Getting a 99.5 PCM for my early 99 from DP-Tuner with the Econo 80hp program was hands down the best, most cost effective performance improving mod I have done.

Big Stu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, please fillout your signature telling us what truck you have. It helps knowing what we're dealing with.

Begining with the 99.5 7.3 truck, an improved PCM was installed in the trucks at the factory. The date marking a 99.5 was something like 12/08/1998 and later. If you have an "early 99" 7.3, you will probably oughta upgrade to the later 99.5 PCM. DP-Tuner can provide you with a 99.5 PCM and put a performance tune on it for you. His Econo 80hp program has brought huge smiles to many faces including mine.

So basically the 99.5 pcm is something you can buy with the chip and just bolt it back in and go? that is what I am really after, not long hours on the phone trying to figure out why my new chip won't work like it's supposed to.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
So basically the 99.5 pcm is something you can buy with the chip and just bolt it back in and go? that is what I am really after, not long hours on the phone trying to figure out why my new chip won't work like it's supposed to.

You don't need a chip, at least at first anyhow. Jody at DP-Tuner can put a "chip program" directly on the PCM itself. No chip required. If you want more than one tune, yea, then you'll need a flip chip. But if you're looking for just one tune, then Jody can put in on the PCM itself.

If you have an early 99 like mine, you're probably not real happy with the transmission programing. It was a function of the early 99 PCM programming, mine was XLE series. I put the DP-Tuner PCM in and not only did the engine come to life a ton, but the difference in tranny operation was like night and day. Before (when towing) the tranny would drop out of O/D down to 3rd at just slight hills or headwinds even though I had gobs of unused throttle pedal left. After the DP-Tuner PCM, I could pull either of my trailers up any hill around and still stay in O/D.

It was definately $$ well spent.

Big Stu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need a chip, at least at first anyhow. Jody at DP-Tuner can put a "chip program" directly on the PCM itself. No chip required. If you want more than one tune, yea, then you'll need a flip chip. But if you're looking for just one tune, then Jody can put in on the PCM itself.

If you have an early 99 like mine, you're probably not real happy with the transmission programing. It was a function of the early 99 PCM programming, mine was XLE series. I put the DP-Tuner PCM in and not only did the engine come to life a ton, but the difference in tranny operation was like night and day. Before (when towing) the tranny would drop out of O/D down to 3rd at just slight hills or headwinds even though I had gobs of unused throttle pedal left. After the DP-Tuner PCM, I could pull either of my trailers up any hill around and still stay in O/D.

It was definately $$ well spent.

Mine is an early 99 and yes, I have experienced the same stuff while towing a buddy's 45' horse trailer. Cool, sounds like you have me on the right track, thanks.:thumbs

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Mine is an early 99 and yes, I have experienced the same stuff while towing a buddy's 45' horse trailer. Cool, sounds like you have me on the right track, thanks.:thumbs

No problem, glad to help. Thats why we're all here anyhow. :thumbs

Besides, what else do I have to do until I get called back to work end of Feb?:dunno :dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14