DP tuner questions

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have been looking at tuners, I may get a bully dog, or an sct. But I really want a DP tuner. I read good things about the custom tuners with the shift on the fly. So I went online and built mine. I chose 3 shift on the fly tunes plus a stock setting. I went with

0- stock

1- 60 hp towing, no codes (9k-15k) lbs

2- 80 hp econo daily driving for mileage

3- 140 hp no codes extreme

As a newbie with custom tuners I would like to know how my choices are before ordering. What do you guys think? and what do the guys that have a dp have as far as tunes that work for them?

I usually have about 500 lbs in tools in the back, plus I haul a dump trailer that maxes at 12k full, and a flatbed we max out at about 10k, but its rated for 12k. Id also like to get the best fuel economy I can.

thanks for the help guys. I am learning a lot from this site.

dpantazis

Reaction score
1. what is your tranny?

2. consider an upgraded valve body. you can do install yourself at a fluid change. this will tweak the tunes a bit. ~$200 from brians truck shop or john wood.

3. what are your injectors? hpop?

4. why the 140hp tune?

5. you might not want to run the 80hp econo pulling a trailer. consult with jody about this.

remember, you can always reburn a chip by sending it back to jody for little money.

Big Lou

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a DP F5 with the following:

POS 0= No Start
POS 1= Stock Tune
POS 2= 60HP For highway driving (Non Towing)
POS 3= 80HP Economy daily driver (Non Towing) better for stop and go traffic
POS 4= 40HP Tow Tune (Up to 15K in weight)
POS 5= Decel Tune
POS 6= 60HP Tow Tune (Up to 13K in weight)

I tow a 5th wheel that weighs 13+K

Lou

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. what is your tranny?

2. consider an upgraded valve body. you can do install yourself at a fluid change. this will tweak the tunes a bit. ~$200 from brians truck shop or john wood.

3. what are your injectors? hpop?

4. why the 140hp tune?

5. you might not want to run the 80hp econo pulling a trailer. consult with jody about this.

remember, you can always reburn a chip by sending it back to jody for little money.

Im not sure on the tranny, ill look tomorrow, its an auto.

Stock injectors, and the 140 was just for fun, but if its too much for my truck to handle at this point ill skip out. I wouldnt tow using the 80 econo. keep in mind im doing this on a budget so I cant do a lot of upgrades, I have my exhaust, intake, and gauges. other than that Its all stock. I want something that will help with my mpgs, obviously since its a big truck im not expecting much. Since im on 35s I would like something that will bring it back up to stock power, and possibly a bit more. would yall recommend going with an off the shelf tuner like an edge, sct or bully dog with my current upgrades?

dpantazis

Reaction score
give jody a call and tell him what you just said and what your goals are. he will tell you his recommendations.

i dont think you will realize the 140 programming with stock injectors and hpop.

fuel economy is a fallacy- the saving will be offset by your lead foot!

think about the valve body upgrade. its way more robust than a transgo kit or sonnax kit. bts does it exchange with a built valve body. jody adjusts his tunes with it.

the tunes can adjust the shift points electronically. the valve body does it mechanically. jodys programming changes the lockup points and the like. if you think you might do a valve body later, ask jody about the programming differences.

good luck.

dp

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
I have a DP tuner on my Powerstroke. I have: 1-stock and 2-80hp econo. I called Jody and told him I just wanted the best mileage possible. I installed it about 3 years ago. It is an excellent tuner. My truck shifts quickly, but smoothly (if that makes sense). It doesn't jerk like its tearing up the transmission. The power difference is crazy!! The stock setting feels sluggish like a normal diesel engine. The 80hp econo setting brings this engine to life. I have a K&N air filter and factory size exhaust (with no cat or muffler). I've only towed about 5,000-6,000 lbs, but I couldn't tell anything was behind me. The Powerstroke pulled it effortlessly. I highly recommend the DP tuner. Like everyone else said, call Jody.

Drew

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DP tuner vs ts tuner?

Ive been scraping together my money to get a dp tuner as my "toy" budget is empty right now ha ha.

I emailed them and they sent me a recommendation, coming to almost $400.00. Im not shocked or awed by it. Ive almost reached that mark. But while browsing craigslist Ive found this pretty local. Is buying a TS tuner aftermarket something I should stay away from, because I am somewhat thinking about it.

Performance Programmer
heres the link to the one I found.

thanks guys.

dpantazis

Reaction score
hardware is the same, almost identical in fact.

programming is what i would want to confirm.

you might want to confirm with TS if they will reburn it for you if you buy it if you want to change things up.

the way to save money is reduce the number of programs and add
them later of you really want them.

you don;t need all those stages really. stock is good to have, but you get that back if you unplug the chip. 80hp econo is what my truck stays on 90% of the time. otherwise, 40hp towing mode.

installation is not needed. if you can chew gum and walk at the same time you can install it.

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hardware is the same, almost identical in fact.

programming is what i would want to confirm.

you might want to confirm with TS if they will reburn it for you if you buy it if you want to change things up.

the way to save money is reduce the number of programs and add
them later of you really want them.

you don;t need all those stages really. stock is good to have, but you get that back if you unplug the chip. 80hp econo is what my truck stays on 90% of the time. otherwise, 40hp towing mode.

installation is not needed. if you can chew gum and walk at the same time you can install it.

Thanks! I guess I should email them and ask them. do you know if they require the pcm code or vin to work? if they do id have to send it in for a reburn and there goes my savings ha ha.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58