DPF/EGR question

6.4dieselva

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone i am new here and i am looking at purchasing a 08 Ford F250 6.4 Diesel. I will mainly be using it as a daily driver during the week which will be short trips. Its about 10miles or so for me to go to work. I will also be using it to do some light towing on the weekends. Nothing over 5000lbs.

I have a old 7.3 diesel now and i always let it fully warm up and cool down and i will do the same for the new 6.4 if i get it. My questions and concerns are regarding the DPF and emissions system. I know the dpf has to clean itself and i have heard that you should not use these trucks for short trips such as a daily driver. Is that true and if i had one for a daily driver and work it on the weekends would it harm it any? Any help is appreciated.
I am new to this 6.4 Diesel but the one i am looking at is so much nicer than my old 7.3.

Thanks

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
6.4L vs 7.3L

:lmao Rephrase that, the new 2008 truck looks better than your truck, the engines are complicated and unreliable from what I have seen, but your 7.3L will outlast that new truck. As for the 6.4L I would say I have to agree with Ford Motor Company, the constant regen procedure and low load you'll be putting on it will by far increase the chance of engine issues, diesel's are by nature designed to work and be under load, not using them is almost as bad as over using them in my opinion. Even though your on the market for a new truck you might want to think about a gasser? Just a thought.

6.4dieselva

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Jimmy. Your in Alexandria? I live in Prince William county and work there too and occasionally will be driving to and from Fairfax a few times a month for meetings. How often does it go into the cleaning mode for the dpf?

2ndPowerstroke

Ford Driver
Reaction score
08 Powerstroke-------13,000 miles bought 10/08 no probs---daily driver and I tow a 30ft 5`ver 10,000lbs on vacation. If I didn`t have the big trailer -wouldn`t have the diesel. You are right at the point to make a difficult decision. I`m sure my previous sentence didn`t help the decision.
I had a 01 7.3 powerstroke -sold it-loved it(kickin my self )--an 06 Dodge CTD - totaled and now a 6.4 that I also love. I would lean toward the diesel just because when I tow I don`t like being in the slow lane.

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've owned my 08 for almost 3 years, drive mostly city and moderate highway trips, rarely loaded and when it is, its loaded heavy. Never had any issues until last week when the EGR valve was stuck open, replace under 5yr/100k warranty. The only other time it was at the dealer was a squeaky idler pulley. 43k miles and 18-20 mpg on summer blend, 15-16 on winter blend. Regens approx. every 650 miles for about 10 min. I love the truck, its been great, much nicer than the previous diesels I've had. Dont let the guys who dont own one, or use one influence you. I bet there are alot more satisfied owners than the regular ones who complain about the 6.4 especially on these types of forums, not just this one. Now dont get me wrong, I know there have been issues with these trucks, but are there issues with the 7.3? the 6.0? the new 6.7? and Chevy or Dodge, you bet!

Jimmy Tanner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.4dieselva,

For the first five thousand miles or so it seemed like every three hundred miles or so and now it is around 500. Most times I don't even notice it unless I'm focused on the monitor .

A lot of folks are hard core against the 6.4 because they don't have one or they have one and don't want to risk their warranty boosting the horsepower. I say just mash your fuel pedal and it'll go. I pull a '35 5th Wheel that weighs 'bout 15K loaded without any problem. including over I-68.

The only time I was worried about the cleaning process was when I had ran across parts of the Penn/Ohio Turnpike for about 150 miles at 85 MPH without lifting. I stopped at the toll both and paid the toll, them hammered it taking off about the time it went into clean. Had left a trail of white smoke about a half-mile ling when I noticed it. Stopped, changed my underwear, then looked for oil, water, then oil and water together. Saw none leaking or out of place. Crunk it up and it still sounded sweet. Eased it into gear and did a normal acceratlion. Resumed normal breathing about this point! All is still good.

Love mine!

Jimmy

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 F350 6.4 with 141,100 miles. Up until 140,000 I had zero problems. Just recently I have had a check engine light come on, but after restarting the problem went away. I only need to clear the code (P0088) and see if it happens again.

I do not tow. Ever. I only haul 1000 to 3000 pound loads. The majority of my loads are about 1500 pounds. Hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58