Drain O-rings and Front Driveline...

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
This weekend, I completed a few repairs on the old girl, and wanted to give everyone my take on the things that I did, just for posterity.

First, I replaced the o-rings in my drain assembly so that my truck stopped leaking fuel everywhere. The O-rings are #202 ½” od, ¼”id , 1/8” thick. I used Buna N nitrile rings. Since everyone kept saying Viton, I looked for Viton and could not find. The website says that nitrile rings are also diesel rated, so I have my fingers crossed. However, i founda lot more websites that state that Buna N isn't going to hold up to LSD, ULSD, or biodiesel worth a damn, so i may be doing this again soon....

On a scale of one to ten, I’ll give this a 5. However, it is important to note that the rating is only that high because of the inaccessibility of the drain, not because the actual job is that difficult or complicated. The job itself consists of removing for #20 torx screws, unhooking a drain line, replacing the o-rings, and re-installing. Sounds easy until you realize that you are doing all of this in a 6” space on top of the motor, which is filled with wires, hoses, tubes, clamps, and other sharp crap that makes access a real bear.

Tools you’ll need…
A pick of some sort to remove the o-rings and then clean the o-ring seats.

A t-20 torx screwdriver (stubby) or a t-20 torx socket and ¼” ratchet (what I used, highly recommended).

Some grease or crank oil or something to lube the rings so they seat well and don’t pinch or roll.

Time needed:
About an hour

Second, I re-installed my front driveline after my recent disaster, and beat the t-case linkage back into the proper shape (since the driveline modified it slightly when it came off!!!).

This one is important, so I am going to yell….

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MEN, PLEASE USE LOCK TITE WHEN REINSTALLING YOUR DRIVELINES AFTER YOU’VE REMoVED THEM.

I read a horror story of a gy’s REAR driveline coming off because it came loose after reinstalling.

THESE DRIVELINE BOLTS DON’T STAY IN ON THEIR OWN, NO MATTER HOW CAREFULLY YOU TORQ THEM!!!

Now, my one piece of advice to you all on front driveline de-re. Replace the stupid idiotic allen-socket style bolts with some good, high grade hex head bolts. They are easier to torque, easier access, easier, PERIOD.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14