Question Drained Batt.'s

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
:doh:* So....* I pulled a bonehead move and left my key turned to the on position all night. Next morning, nothing, stone dead. I was able to jump start after letting it charge up for about 10 min.'s. My Batt.'s are recently replaced Motorcrafts and are good. When it finally started it had no working gauges,power windows or cab lights, I assume a blown fuse,or fuses (I'll check this afternoon), but my question is, is this suppose to happen? I thought perhaps their was a timeout if this happened so you wouldn't return to dead batt.'s.* Did I harm the glow plugs, or anything else? I appreciate any input.*

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The charging circuit will not start charging until the glow plugs have timed out, whether or not is is cold outside. You should see some charge in a few minutes. You will not hurt anything. I am not sure about the fuses or fuse links, but I don't think they will blow. Good Luck and don't do that again...

Dave

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Key on doesn't have an auto shut off feature like you find on the headlights. Those batteries need a real good charge so you might want to take a 30min+ ride around town.

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Thank you both for the reply. I went through the entire fuse box today. There were no blown fuses but I noticed that all the relays were slightly lose. I worked them all back in tight and everything started working again! I think the continuous heat/cold, expansion/contraction works them out after a number of years. I had this happen on a circuit board on my PC some years ago. I think the key on all night put it over the edge. Or did something reset itself when I went through that procedure? Any other thoughts?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14