draining seperator on a 2006

mwalls54

Tex
Reaction score
Well i just found out after the last fuel filter change the seperator wasn't drained and now i have the water in fuel light on. I crawled up and under it and unlike the older models it dont have a allen head plug but it has a drain cock. well i have done every thing but break it off and i cant get it to drain. which i guess is why jiffy lube didn't drain it last time. has any one ran into this problem?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That sounds like you need to plan a trip to the Dealer and get it fixed under warranty. It won't get easier with time.

Dave

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you owned the truck since new ?
got a photo of the drain ?

there was some talk in 05/06 of them doing a drain petcock of
sorts (it even made it into some owners manuals) but i never
heard of anyone actually getting a truck w/ one installed.

im afraid someone may have stripped out our OLD plug & put this
in place...that or a previousl owner installed it...

mwalls54

Tex
Reaction score
well as soon as i am able to get a picture of it i will post it, and i have had the truck since new which is a year old and has 40k miles on it. I just got off the phone with my buddy and we got ours on the same day from the same dealer and his has a drain on his too but he always takes it in to the dealer for service.
its just a 90* brass fitting with a drain cock on it. i just unscrewed the 90 and it drained just fine, but i looked at the drain and its just not opening up. and i didn't want to booger it up trying to get it to open because i have always heard of people stipping out the brass plugs

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmm;

Our truck is an April 06, and it has the 6mm hex plug. Our odometer is at 7000 miles, so we will be changing the fuel filters and removing the plug in 8000 more miles. I purchased the plug that is like Bush's illustration, so after draining, I will replace the stock plug with the brass plug.

Last edited:

mwalls54

Tex
Reaction score
well i just drove it around a little bit and my water in fuel light is still on. there wasn't very much water when i drained it. Any one have any ideas what would cause it to stay on other than water?

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to have mine reset at the dealer I have herd of other people having the same problem with the warning light.

Black06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i just drove it around a little bit and my water in fuel light is still on. there wasn't very much water when i drained it. Any one have any ideas what would cause it to stay on other than water?

My filters got saturated one time from what must have been a bad load of fuel. After endless draining I finally gave in and changed the filters. Problem gone. Hope this works for you.

pete37922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have 2 get 1 of them drain plugs...did my fuel filters 2day...think the drain plug will make it a little easier !!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58