Dreaded oil pan leak

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
The oil pan leak on my 7.3 seems to be getting worse. It leaks about a gallon of motor oil every 1000 miles. I am pretty sure it is the oil pan, when I had my clutch off I cleaned the back of the engine with brake cleaner and saw the leak was in fact coming off the pan seal just under the rear main seal. seems like every time I stop it leaks out about a 10" puddle, it won't be bigger than that though. I think when I am cruising it collects in the bell housing and when I stop it runs out. I have found out that it is possible to cut out that cross member and can get the pan out and back in, I know it takes a super thick putty stuff for the seal. Or do I have to have the motor pulled at like $1200 to get it fixed.
Anyone ever cut out the cross-member to change the seal and put it back in?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am sure someone has cut out the cross member, but with all of that oil under there you are going to have one BIG fire! Pull the engine.

Dave

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Cutting torch will get those rivets, but getting them back in won't happen with the engine there. At least I can't see how.

Dave

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
nah, you bolt it back in.. like the spring towers on older Rangers, Bronco II's and Exploders..

getting them out, you'd use a whizzer and buzz a slice out of the middle of the rivet head, then use an air hammer with a chisel bit to break off the chips..

Last edited:

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
yes when I had the clutch out I saw the oil coming out of the pan seal just below the rear main seal, the rear main seal was dry so was the clutch. I am guessing the hack that "rebuilt" the motor used the wrong stuff to seal it up.

Last edited:

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Pull the engine. Cutting/ torching/ disassembling your frame is NONSENSE. :rant
There, I said it :lmao
Seriously, the 7.3 is a breeze to pull out. Besides, the only way to seal the pan RIGHT is to flip the engine over and let the extra special Navistar sealant cure for 24 hours. :sweet

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Pull the engine. Cutting/ torching/ disassembling your frame is NONSENSE. :rant
There, I said it :lmao
Seriously, the 7.3 is a breeze to pull out. Besides, the only way to seal the pan RIGHT is to flip the engine over and let the extra special Navistar sealant cure for 24 hours. :sweet

That sealant they use is awesome! My 7.3 has over 261k on it with nothin done to the motor and is dry like it was new. :sweet

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Have you checked the top of the engine for oil in the valley? You know any oil leaks here drain out the back and down through the bell housing.

Tbar

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14