Drill bit broke in exhaust manifold

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am putting the temp probe for the pyro in. I started with small bits and am working my way up in size. The fourth bit it breaks off in the drivers' side manifold.-mad Before I create more of a mess, I need some confirmation. It seems like removing the up-pipe between the exhaust manifold and turbo would be the best way to get it out. Is the wrong? I hope I don't need to remove the manifold itself. I need to drive this truck to work tonight.
:thanks
fgtex

DiscountPowerParts

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Reaction score
I have done that once. I kept drilling to the final size and with the grace of god it came out with a magnet. Be very careful with those up pipe bolts. 50/50 chance they may break.

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It fell off in the inside. I am going to get the most expensive for metal drill bits that Lowes has so that I can finish the hole out. I will try the magnet thing also.

fgtex

DiscountPowerParts

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Reaction score
Good Luck! You can also try a Shop Vac. Clean it out first so you can investigate.

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Youre drilliing into the cast iron manifold correct?

Yes. Here is a link to the directions on ITP's site that I am using. Figure #13 on page 17. "For drill/tap pyro probe installation" <-- this is where I am drilling.

fgtex

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
OK, I just wanted to be certain we were talking the same location. FWIW and this is after the fact but....... the cast manifold is really soft and easy to drill and when I did mine, I just center punched it and hit it with the proper size bit to make the tap. I figured the more times in and out of the same hole with a bit was the more chances to break one off.

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. Got it out. Loosened the up-pipe and forced it back w/ a screwdriver enough to get my little finger in there to wiggle the bit down and out.

95_Stroker - I haven't stepped up drill bits before, and won't in the future. I was trying to follow directions to a tee for once...see where it gets me.

Thanks for the help everybody.

fgtex

Rio_Grande

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Stepping is a fine way to get holes bigger, But in cast a good sharp drill within limits (say 21/64 and below) shouldn't need stepping. Larger holes need no stepping when using a press but with a hand drill things get a little dicey.
Oh Just to add be careful center punching cast, remember it is brittle. You absolutely can punch it, Just be easy or you may punch a hole insted of drilling one. ):
Glad you got it together. Bits an pieces can play heck on bearings!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58