Question Drive tires on steer axle??

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it okay to run drive tires on the front of my 08 F450? I have the Continental HSR's on the front now and the HDR's on the rear. The HSR's are worn slap out at 47k miles while the HDR's still look brand new. Plus the HDR's look more aggressive. Thanks for any feedback!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You might tear them up, but you can run them, as far as I know. I have always run M&S tires on all four wheels. I have never heard of REAR TIRES ONLY. I would never run caps on the front end.

Dave

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score

thats just to weird
looks like the front tire was specifically designed as stear tire, but the rear, would work but with increased noise

did your fronts wear in the normal FORD arc across the tread?
even though i have a 350, i found that doing a dry drive on concrete to get the pressure right so the tread would ride/wear flat across the tread width, that i had to drop to 65-68 psi.

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it matters other than noise. The F-550 at the fire house has them General 19.5's on all corners, it does good.

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The outer and inner treads are just about completely worn. The middle is in good shape. i keep the tire pressures between 100-110 psi. 110 psi is max for these tires. Doesn't really make sense the way that its wearing. To me at least...

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
The outer and inner treads are just about completely worn. The middle is in good shape. i keep the tire pressures between 100-110 psi. 110 psi is max for these tires. Doesn't really make sense the way that its wearing. To me at least...

classic under pressure? or worn front end parts, shocks etc.
king pin bushings?

Hooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 19.5's mostly unladen and have about 45k on them. They're "drivers" all around because of the snow in the mountains. I haven't had a wear problem on the fronts or rears, but I did ask Rickson about putting the drivers on all 4 prior to buying them and was told no problem. Are you running the truck heavily loaded or on some unusual road conditions? It doesn't seem like you have enough miles on it to have worn the chassis components out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58