Question Drive train problems

moeller96

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I could use some advice. I have an 01 f350 long box crew cab. Last summer I had a u-joint replaced and the guy said he thought my tail shaft was too long. I have replaced 4 u- joints over the past 4 years and now my truck won't shift out of first gear. The entire truck is totally stock, and I do haul a heavy 5 th wheel fairly often. Could the shafts be putting too much pressure on the back of the tranny causing this issue or do you think the tranny is wrecked. I have no idea how my drive shaft could become too long. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
If the drive shaft is stock, NO it is not too long. There is a slip joint at the tail shaft, at the end of the tranny. If it was tight and jammed up to the tranny, you would hear a thud on every bump. The tranny has a separate problem not related to the drive shaft. Have you checked the tranny fluid, and does it smell burned? A local tranny shop needs to check it out.

Dave

moeller96

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, the tranny fluid is normal and everything electrically checks out with it. From what I've heard the transmissions in these is trucks seem to be a little weak, so it may have to be rebuilt. I haven't looked at the shaft myself but my guy swears to me that all the play is used up on the slip joints between the tranny and the rear case. He says he has never seen this before and seems to be very knowledgable. Even with the truck on a lift he had to pry the u-joints out cause there was no play in the shaft. I'm going to let him cut about 1.5 inches off the shaft and have it balanced. The truck seemed to shift just fine when on the lift. So we will see just wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like this before

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Check your rear end where it bolts to the springs. If it has worked loose it may have shifted ahead. There is a centering bolt that should hold it in place but I have seen them break. Just doesn't seem right that your drive shaft grew.

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats very strange. I would def check all the mounts for tranny, tcase, and rearend to make sure nothing has shifted.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
I could use some advice. I have an 01 f350 long box crew cab. Last summer I had a u-joint replaced and the guy said he thought my tail shaft was too long. I have replaced 4 u- joints over the past 4 years and now my truck won't shift out of first gear. The entire truck is totally stock, and I do haul a heavy 5 th wheel fairly often. Could the shafts be putting too much pressure on the back of the tranny causing this issue or do you think the tranny is wrecked. I have no idea how my drive shaft could become too long. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

The tranny needs to be rebuilt. Most likely a failed mechanical diode. This was Fords attempt to upgrade the sprag. It failed. This part is an 01 only part.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be cutting that drive sheft just yet. Take it to another shop and let them look it over.
Doug

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
get the trans fixed first.. if it's got anywhere near 150k on it, it's due.. then worry about the driveshaft

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I broke a rear spring center bolt on my '72 F-250. It would shift every time you put a force on the axle, either braking or accelerating. You would need to correct with the steering wheel.

Dave :dunno

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14