Driveline vibrations

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Hey all,

Got some driveline vibrations that started a couple thousand miles ago when the driveshaft u-joints went out. At the time, the vibrations were at 30+ mph. After replacing the u-joints, I'd only get the vibrations at 65+ mph.

I've had all four wheels balanced and it didn't fix the problem. While at the dealership getting a new turbo installed (warranty, whew!), I had them send the driveshaft out to get balanced. They told me the driveline shop said "driveshaft couldn't be balanced." They then recommended "starting" with replacing the driveshaft at $450 parts and labor. Starting? No thanks. If I'm going to spend $450, it's gonna fix the problem. Period.

So.....what are the recommendations? If I need a new driveshaft, I'd rather get one from high angle (??) for $100 more than a stock Ford replacement.

BTW, Ford also recommended rebuilding the rear end to see if that would take care of the vibration. Again, not spending that kind of money on a "maybe."

Let me know what you think.

Bruce

FYI: on the turbo issue, the first reman'd one was leaking oil like crazy, and the second one is blowing blue smoke out of the engine like crazy (spent 4 hours with the mechanics last night after they said it was ready). Looks like Ford can't get a decent turbo in to replace my original bad one.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
They won't fix the vibration under warranty? Why did the drive line shop say it could not be balanced? If they could not balance it because it was too far out then it probably needs replaced, under warranty..

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Crumm said:
They won't fix the vibration under warranty? Why did the drive line shop say it could not be balanced? If they could not balance it because it was too far out then it probably needs replaced, under warranty..

The only thing the advisor told me was the shop said "driveshaft couldn't be balanced." The advisor that I usually work with (and like) was on vacation, so another advisor helped me with the problem. When my regular guy gets back I'll ask him and he'll give me a good answer.

As far as the warranty goes, the truck has 60k on the clock. The driveline isn't included in the 100k motor warranty.

rch

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The drive-shaft can't be balanced? BS. I'm betting that if you send the drive shaft out to a balance shop it will come back balanced and the vibration will stop.

drchris1024

SDD Security
Reaction score
I also have a vibration. Mine starts at 60 and stops at 70. Does yours stop at a MPH or just continue.

Also do you have your LANDYOT radius rods installed yet.

Wawuzat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Do either of you experiencing vibration have a double-carden U-joint at the front? When another X-owner spotted my OEM double-carden front U-joint, he went bananas, saying he had to have one to cure the vibration he got from a lift kit.

Apparently not all X's leave the factory with the same driveshaft arrangement.

drchris1024

SDD Security
Reaction score
Wawuzat said:
Do either of you experiencing vibration have a double-carden U-joint at the front? When another X-owner spotted my OEM double-carden front U-joint, he went bananas, saying he had to have one to cure the vibration he got from a lift kit.

Apparently not all X's leave the factory with the same driveshaft arrangement.

What is this and what do it look like?

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
drchris1024 said:
I also have a vibration. Mine starts at 60 and stops at 70. Does yours stop at a MPH or just continue.

Also do you have your LANDYOT radius rods installed yet.

Starts at 60 and stays. Haven't done a whole lot of testing with it without the trailer, though.

Radius rods aren't here yet. I expect them in a couple weeks.

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is the Excursion forum, but I think this is relevant, not to mention I have an X too.

Just rebuilt rear end with all new bearings on F250, which removed the howl. Bearings were really pitted in rear end. Now it's quiet, but now has a slight vibration. Replaced rear u-joint on rear diff and am wondering where to start looking.

Now, I see your going radius rods, got em on the X & found them to hold the rear axle at different pitch which upon deceleration has a slight vibration. Not a big deal, but I am looking for a solution because the rods improve Handling & Ride enough to overlook the occasional vibes. Ken makes a quality product. :thumbs

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
I got the radius rods installed -- WOW -- huge improvement. Only downside is that it accentuated the driveline vibration. I'm getting the driveshaft balanced in the next couple days. Hopefully that'll clear up the vibration.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg